Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:52 am

damn bugeater, those are great links.
TampaBrew

Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:29 am

Thanks Bug, I've spent the morning reading through these links. Now I need to go run out and buy a few things. My socket wrench set isn't deep enough to reach the post nuts (yes, I said the socket is not deep enough to reach my nuts). And I need to get some connectors/tubes, etc.

I got a line on a local fire extinguisher shop for CO2 tanks too... I'm on my way!
Capt. Pushy, BN Army Corps of Engineers
(not to be confused with Push E.)

Building a Better World Through Beer
Brew Engineer

Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:31 am

Bugeater, do you have plans that depend on the whole Army being occupied elsewhere? 'Cause this is a great first step. :wink:

Thanks for the info.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:10 pm

TampaBrew wrote:damn bugeater, those are great links.

Yeah, I bookmark everyone of 'um.
Sent From My iPhone

Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:38 pm

The only thing I have to add is the question on shortening the dip tubes. I thought about it when I first started and never did. I usually use gelatin and will pour about 24-32oz off after cold crashing then gelatin off and down the sink. It's easier and faster than cutting a dip tube and/or making a keg a bright tank.

Anywho, kegging is great. Just make sure you clean your line regularly, clean your tap openings after each evening of using then (a squirt bottle of Star-San and q-tips work fine) and leave the bottling behind (except for some high-gravity brews and some Belgiums.)
-I live in my own little world. But that's okay because they know me there.
-Even if alcohol does kill off brain cells, we all know alcohol goes for the slower, weaker ones first -- making your brain more sleek and efficient.
numsquat

Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:31 pm

Gary
Big Tex Brewing
---------------------------------------------
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour.
Teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.
- ANONYMOUS
Big Tex

Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:58 am

These are all some great links for a kegging newbie! Maybe we should considering turning this thread into a sticky note, and we can add our kegging related links as we find them?

Any thoughts?

And thanks again to all you guys that provided info! I'm well on my way!

I cleaned up my kegs, and several O-rings are torn, and I can't get the Pepsi smell out of them, even the Poppets, so I ordered replacements for the O-rings, and the poppets.

I've got all my fittings/hoses, etc either in hand, or on order, and I'm working on the CO2 tank this week.

:)

:bnarmy:

Brew Engineer

Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:09 am

I've got my whole keg set-up put together now! I got the Kegs, all my tubing/fittings, etc. I got a CO2 tank from a local fire extinguisher supply for $45, and $6 re-fills. And I got a mini fridge. I'll be starting out using a cobra tap, but I plan to expand to a two faucet tower later this year. (I'm asking for parts for Christmas...)

The only thing missing... the BEER!!! Luckily, I've got a Kolsch that's just about ready, so I'm going ot try to set it all up tonight. I've cleaned out the kegs, replaced seals, checked pressure, and all these resources were VERY helpful.

Hopefully I wont end up making a mess and exploding beer all over the kitchen... Wish me luck!!!

Thanks again guys!!! I'll let you know how my first kegged beer tastes!!!

:jnj

Brew Engineer

PreviousNext

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing