Storing kegs for NHC 2014

Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:03 am

Ok I never seem to have a problem with what to do with a keg after I filled it; I just put it on tap, carb, and drink. However, I'm getting kegs ready for NHC 2014, but unsure of the best way to store them for the next 2months? Should I carb them now or wait? Should I just set them in the basement? Should I keep the kegs cold? Now with it only being 2months away, would it be differnt with differnt styles; ABV; IBU; ect...? For now I'm just storing the kegs in basement. Any and all info would be great thanks in advance.
Trying to make the best homebrew, to pass across any ones palette!
chugly

Re: Storing kegs for NHC 2014

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:46 am

If they're ready to drink, carb 'em up & keep em cold (< 40). If you have a style that needs to age a little bit you may want to leave it a little warmer (~60's).
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:07 am

If you plan to bring them as is, I'd carb them now so you can get it just right. If there's a chance you are going to transfer again (remember you are going to be shaking up some stuff when you transport them), then I'd just add carbonation enough to seal them and then carbonate after your final transfer.

Either way, I'd keep them cold until June.

What are you bringing, so I can look for it on Club Night?
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:13 pm

I'm with the 'Motor City Mashers', and for club night I'm bringing a 'Blueberry Stout'. I'm also brewing a batch for the Adventures in Homebrewing hospitality suite just not sure what? Again thank you for sharing the keg info hope to see ya there. :aaron
Trying to make the best homebrew, to pass across any ones palette!
chugly

Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:02 pm

I agree 100% with DarkSide. If you're going to transfer again, wait another month or so to transfer and carbonate. If you're going to keep it in its current keg, go ahead and carbonate. Either way, keep it cold!

Wish I could be there to try it!

Cheers

:bnarmy:
dogismycopilot

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing