Kegging Belgians

Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:46 pm

I have two kegs with a single regulator and a manifold. Can I put a highly carbonated style like a Belgian on one side and a less carbonated style like a porter on the other? I'm thinking that even if I initially carbonate each keg to the proper level that over time they will equalize and one or both will be at the wrong level. Am I correct?
GloridazeBrewing

Re: Kegging Belgians

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:20 am

Yeah, they'll both end up at whatever level you set the regulator to.

Maybe, though, you could keep the regulator set to the higher pressure, and on the manifold, keep the shutoff valve to the lower carbonated keg closed. Only open it after you pour a beer, to replace the volume lost, and close right after you stop hearing the gas flow in. That might slow down any rise in carbonation.
dogismycopilot

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:51 pm

I find that if you knock them out and put them in cement instead, they put up less of a fight........ :)

JK.

#1 Get a 2nd regulator.
#2 You could use a pressure gauge to monitor the lower pressure keg. Open the ball valve, set to the desired pressure, and then close the ball valve. Hope you have no leaks. open only to serve and then vent if need be to get back down to the desired lower pressure.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:03 pm

GloridazeBrewing wrote:I have two kegs with a single regulator and a manifold. Can I put a highly carbonated style like a Belgian on one side and a less carbonated style like a porter on the other? I'm thinking that even if I initially carbonate each keg to the proper level that over time they will equalize and one or both will be at the wrong level. Am I correct?

That's my setup too and the reason I still bottle Belgian Styles. That and I believe it is more authentic to bottle condition Belgian ales. But I've never been to Belgium so...
Brian
KCMO
mobrewer

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:35 pm

What if I put the kegs at the higher pressure but put the a much longer serving line on one than the other?
GloridazeBrewing

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:59 pm

You have still changed the Volumes of CO2 in a beer style that may not want that increased carbonation. The extra line length sets your pressure drop to aid in better pours. I believe it is 2psi/ft for 3/16's ID beer line? Check me on that.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:27 pm

I'm doing what dogismycopilot suggested but in the opposite direction with an ordinary bitter. Right now my pressure is set to provide just under 2 volumes for the bitter. When that level is right, I'll shutoff the valve to the bitter and bring the pressure back up for my 2.5 volume beers. Then I will only open the valve on the bitter when I need more serving CO2. Seems like a cheaper alternative to buying another regulator.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:54 pm

Kbar wrote:I find that if you knock them out and put them in cement instead, they put up less of a fight........ :)

I like to find very small Belgians for kegging. The big ones don't fit real good. Sometimes you have to smush their heads down and then quick put the lid on. The CO2 works good though. Quiets them right down.
troybinso

Next

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing