Re: Nooooo...flat beer, ideas?

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:25 am

Ozwald wrote:
Brewbs wrote:It's aged for 2.5 weeks in my basement. The basement was 70ish for the first week and a half and then cooler for the last week after we had to turn on the A/C.

Start cooler & raise temp toward the end of fermentation. Letting the yeast cool down when they're trying to finish up is generally a bad idea.

I think he's referring to his temp while carbonating.

Ozwald wrote:
Brewbs wrote:I've now sampled 3 bottles from different points in the bottling process and they are all the same.

That much is good. If they're all the same, you likely got a good mix in the bottling bucket. Raising the temp & being patient is also a wise idea. My guess is that the caps are on fine & that they just need a little more time.

Yeah, checking early mid and late during the bottling run, if they are all the same, sugar likely isn't your issue. At this point I'd guess it's either time or yeast. Time is the easiest to handle, and moving a case up stairs where it's a bit warmer should let you know where it's gonna be. I generally figure that the first month or so in the bottle most batches will end up at their final carbonation level at that point, so I rarely get too worried this early. Give it more time, if you've got a faint hiss as you open them, at least your yeast has done something, just needs to do a bit more to get you where you want.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:29 am

Thanks for the tips Oz. I'll report back in a week or so.
Brewbs

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Ozwald wrote:
Brewbs wrote:I should note that this was only my 3rd batch in capped glass bottles. First time using these particular bottles so I was worried that I didn't get the caps on well enough however their is definitely a little something cause there is the smallest sound of gas escaping when I crack them...this much is consistent.

That much is good. If they're all the same, you likely got a good mix in the bottling bucket. Raising the temp & being patient is also a wise idea. My guess is that the caps are on fine & that they just need a little more time.

If you're getting a hiss on opening, there's activity. Let it sit a couple more weeks. If it doesn't get better, then you can try adding more sugar.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:21 pm

This is a common problem. Lots of guys will use their basement where its great for fermenting to carbonate. Unfortunately, concrete will suck the heat right out of the bottles, and they never carbonate.
As was said, you need to get them up where it's warm and give them some time. Warm carbonation won't harm the flavors, even for lagers. Get the yeasties warm and happy and they'll make you happy back!
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:19 am

BDawg wrote:Get the yeasties warm and happy and they'll make you happy back!

Is that anything like a reach around? :unicornrainbow:
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:28 am

After the first week in the warm room, still flat as tap water with no head whatsoever.

After week 2.............................

!!! ...my brewing mojo took a beating with this one, it's back now!

Parteh time!

thanks fellow brewers
Brewbs

Previous

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing