Soda mix with lime juice, Safe?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:36 pm

I am brand new to kegging, I fact we are just setting up our keg fridge this weekend. We have a 3 keg setup and plan to run 1 x Mexican Cerveza style beer, 1 x mead (7%), and 1 x soda premix. My question is.........is it safe to add lemon or lime juice a premix. My plans are as follows

4275ml homemade fortified Mead (35.5%) it is legal in NZ :D
475ml fresh lime juice
14250ml water

this works out to be approx 8% Alc, and 2.5% lime juice
Is it safe to add lime juice to the mix and carbonate it in the keg, and does anyone now how long the lime juice will stay fresh for?
Any info will be appreciated. :)
SamanthaH

Re: Soda mix with lime juice, Safe?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:35 pm

It should be fairly safe in terms of acid in keg, as beer is on the acidic side, and metals that are susceptible to acid wear aren't generally used for kegging. As far as freshness, I can't say. Another option would be to serve it and add lime juice then... but I feel that's what you are trying to avoid by being able to put it all into one vessel.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Re: Soda mix with lime juice, Safe?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:02 pm

Thank you. I think I will go ahead with the plan and see how it lasts. I get a bit sick of cleaning up all the lime skins the next morning. :lol:
SamanthaH

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing