Difference between keg types?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:20 am

Hello BN,

Just been doing some browsing of kegging systems and wanted to know what people thought about the types of kegs. Ball lock kegs seem to be a touch more expensive than pin lock so I am guessing they are more popular and replacement parts are more readily available. Is there anything else that I am missing in this analysis?

Prost,

B
Next Brew: Spiced Winter Ale & Blonde Ale
Fermenting: Brown Ale & Mead
Conditioning: SMASH Ale (Pilsner/Simcoe)
Drinking: Saison & IIPA
http://bradsbrewing.freetzi.com/
Proud Twittergame Winner 13May2012!
Proud DOTW Winner 13 May 2013!
bburen

Re: Difference between keg types?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:41 am

Ball lock types have been the most common for the past few years, and the supply is really starting to dwindle. That is the reason they are more expensive, because they are now rare. They are taller and thus slightly more narrow, making it easier to fit them into many fridges.

Pin lock types are now much more readily available, and thus are much cheaper (there is a place in town to by untested ones for $10). If you are just building your system, I would recommend setting up your system to handle both, which is as simple as buying 1/4" MFL fittings instead of flare fittings for your disconnects. That way you can just buy whatever kegs are available.

MFL:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... 4-mfl.html

Barb:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... -barb.html

BTW: I had no idea they were making these in SS now.

Let me know of any dissenting info, as I am mid-conversion to handling both currently.
Beer. Bikes. Cosmic B-fields.
adamK

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:35 am

Thanks Adam!
Next Brew: Spiced Winter Ale & Blonde Ale
Fermenting: Brown Ale & Mead
Conditioning: SMASH Ale (Pilsner/Simcoe)
Drinking: Saison & IIPA
http://bradsbrewing.freetzi.com/
Proud Twittergame Winner 13May2012!
Proud DOTW Winner 13 May 2013!
bburen

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:27 pm

Woah I had no idea that they were making those in stainless now. I might pick up a set for sour beers since presumably they can be sanitized with heat.

What adam says is right. I would add the the ball lock kegs have a manual pressure relief valve on the lid which is really handy for letting off pressure. Also, beware of people selling 'converted' ball locks - pin locks that have just been retrofitted with ball lock posts. If your kegerator requires skinny kegs, these will not work. If you bring kegs to pour at a party or beer event, they also may not have pin lock disconnects, another consideration.
maxwell

Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Is there any issue with the pin locks not having a preassure release valve? My kegerator only holds one keg and the issue is with height. So, for my purposes according to this thread pin lock would be great for me.
humpadilo

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:04 pm

humpadilo wrote:Is there any issue with the pin locks not having a preassure release valve? My kegerator only holds one keg and the issue is with height. So, for my purposes according to this thread pin lock would be great for me.

They'll hold 3-4x as much pressure as you'd ever even think of putting in them... and 10x the pressure they'd see from normal use. The PRV's (pressure relief valves) are nice to have, but I wouldn't consider it a safety issue. Also note the connectors are taller so you wouldn't be saving any vertical space when all is said and done. I've never measured them side by side, but with those taller connectors they may take up a touch more height than the ball locks.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing