Kegging is bullshit

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:07 pm

I'm pretty fucking frustrated. Kegged and put a pale ale on CO2 a couple days ago. Gave it 10psi as I've got time. Don't have a kegerator yet, but it's cold enough outside (mid-low 30s) that it's fridge temp in the garage. Came home from work just now and tried to pull a pint. Started leaking beer out of the dispensing post area.

What the fuck is going on here? Used keg from Northern Brewer. Replaced all the o-rings when I got it. New dispensing hardware also from Northern Brewer. Kegged a hefeweizen in the early spring around the same temperatures for a first kegged batch and all was fine. Before this pale ale was kegged, I cleaned and sanitized the connections. What am I doing wrong and/or what is broken? I'm so pissed I want to kill someone.
twitter.com/GentleCuntPunch

If you take what I post here literally, you're retarded. I'm here to fuck around, have a good time, and learn about beer. You mean nothing to me and I mean nothing to you.
Adam

Re: Kegging is bullshit

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:35 pm

Were you able to get the disconnect seated, or was it leaking out before it was all the way on?
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:48 am

Hop debris in the poppit?
snowcapt

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:48 am

Is it always leaking or only when the cobra tap is connected?
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:58 am

In addition to what checking what Snowcapt said, I'd disassemble and reassemble the black liquid disconnect. It sounds like the plastic post is seated wrong, the spring is all wonky, or you're missing a seal. Beer is obviously making it through the to the picnic tap. The beer stops flowing when you detach the disconnect, right?
elsinore

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:20 am

I've had those o-rings on the outside of the post dry rot and crack. Put a thin screwdriver between the post and the o-ring to stretch it. You will see the cracks or cuts if there are any. That o-ring seals the post to the quick disconnect.
Good Luck! :jnj
Keep on Brewin'
Captain Carrot

"Beer makes everything more fun!" (me)
captain carrot

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:06 am

The beer started leaking when dispensing, not when attaching the connector. The disconnector was seated firmly without movement.

The beer was transferred very clear and I'm not aware of hop matter in this case. I used hop sacks with this batch. The wort was free of hop matter in the fermenter.

The beer flows out the picnic tap when I'm dispensing but also comes out of the connector during and after dispensing. It didn't start doing that until I tried to pull the very first pint off the keg. The beer stops flowing when the connector is not attached to the keg post.
twitter.com/GentleCuntPunch

If you take what I post here literally, you're retarded. I'm here to fuck around, have a good time, and learn about beer. You mean nothing to me and I mean nothing to you.
Adam

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:17 am

The top of the ball lock connector has a slot that can get loose. Use a standard screwdriver to tighten it back up.
Eagle Dude

On Tap: Barrel Fermented Berlinerweisse 3.2%; American Pale Ale 6.3%, Amarillo Blond 5%
Aging: Flander's Red in a 60 gallon Merlot barrel
Fermenting: Robust Porter 6.5%
EagleDude

Next

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing