Re: Bottlers, how many do you keep on hand?

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:42 pm

whoateallthepies wrote:I only keep one bottler on hand. I've used it since I started brewing in 1999. If the handle ever snapped halfway through bottling, I'd be screwed.

Oh pies...JP would be proud.
Corporal, BN ARMY

If you're not a part of the solution, your'e a part of the precipitate.
Duzdisluk Infektid

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:58 pm

I think I have around 40-50 22oz bombers floating around my house, and my brewing partner's houses. Probably have 75 or so of 12oz bottles, and also some crazy medicine bottle looking 20-24ozers. I have also been collecting the Sparkling apple cider bottles. Does anyone know if these would be rated good enough to bottle belgian styles? God I really want to start kegging. I am really starting to hate bottling days.

cheers, :jnj
Bottled: fresh hop pale ale
On tap: Moose bile strong ale
In the cellar: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial Stout
Lagering:
In the fermenter: Moose drool clone
In the works: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial stout
PorkSlapper

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:30 pm

I have way more bottles than I ever use. better to be overstocked than under. I'm guessing around 250 in different sizes. and 5 kegs.
I killed a zombie and ate it's brains. That's how I became the Zombie King.
Billy Klubb

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:17 am

I still 100% bottle (over 100 batches). Have to bottle up 4 batches tonight... I was a bit short on the 8th case... Will have to use a growler and drink it young, so as to not have a bomb.

So, I guess I keep about -12 bottles on hand.

I do have some Russian River and 750ml corked bottles that I have, but I want them to be strickly for sours, so I don't end up putting an IPA into a bottle that previously held a sour.
skerrydude

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:47 pm

Currently I have 4 cases but thinking of buying another two and hope that the wifey doesn't notice but I'll probably buy a keg next year sometime to keep one brew in.
Bwood1377

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:09 pm

Bottling trick I use on my bucket... a 90 degree PVC elbow, threaded on one side, slip fitting on the other... Image

Sorry for the crappy quality, took these with my cell. But it eliminates most of the tipping/sloshing involved in getting the last few bottles filled. Instead of a 6 pack of ones that I have to mark as likely oxidized for early consumption, I get it down to 2 or so with less hassle.

These were taken after it stopped flowing, maybe a half inch of beer at the bottom instead of halfway up the spigot without the elbow (which cost like $0.90)
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:59 am

I have way to many bottle that dont get used as I have started kegging. Now I do collect bombers now just for big beers or things that I dont need a full keg on.
ACESFULL

Previous

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing