Re: Force Carbing

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:23 am

spiderwrangler wrote:1.5 -- purge keg with CO2 before proceeding

Damn...can't believe I missed that one.
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:27 am

The beer will absorb CO2 better and more quickly if it has been previously chilled first as opposed to trying to force carb warm beer.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:25 pm

How does one purge an empty keg with normal kegging equipment, i.e. ball lock fittings on your gas line? Just hold it (gas out fitting) inside the keg while pushing down on the "pin", thus allowing co2 to spray out into the empty keg? I never bother purging, but may start...
Primary: Surley Bender
2ndary: ESB and Black Forest Stout (which has formed a pellicle, guess I'll ride it out)
On Tap:
Evin Twin
Belgian Stout
In Bottles:
Tasty's APA
Black IPA
Bourbon Barrel Aged RIS
S. English Brown
summy

Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:23 pm

Awesome thanks for all the help. I have the keg set up and just pulled a few pints. I followed the protocol with everyone's suggestions. The process took 35 minutes to shake, vent, inject, repeat. Then I left it in the fridge at 10 Psi (i shook after injection 20 psi into the keg) for 1 hour 15 minutes. The beer went into the keg at room temp and I drew it into my glass as a flat luke warm beer. But it is not infected and I plan on leaving it on 10 psi for the next few weeks and tasting every once in a while and having great beers. I've never been happier.
Peace, Love, Unity
L0nni3
l0nni3

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:28 pm

l0nni3 wrote: But it is not infected .

Not to be a downer, but not infected unless it picked something up transferring to the keg...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:34 pm

Your serving pressure is going to be determined by your kegerator setup. Mostly on how much line you have between the keg & faucet, also how many vertical feet it needs to travel. For example if you had a coldroom in the basement & served on the first floor (many bars do this), serving pressure would be higher than if your keg was directly below the tap by only a few feet. Play with the setting a little bit & you'll find that sweet spot for your setup.

Also it should be noted that repeating the shake method twice isn't a golden number. Push 30 psi on it til you hear the gas stop flowing. Every time you shake & put gas back on, do the same. If you repeat multiple times you'll notice the gas doesn't flow as long as the previous time. I don't think I've ever repeated the gas/shake cycle less than 4 or 5 times. Just depends on how patient you are.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:06 am

summy wrote:How does one purge an empty keg with normal kegging equipment, i.e. ball lock fittings on your gas line? Just hold it (gas out fitting) inside the keg while pushing down on the "pin", thus allowing co2 to spray out into the empty keg? I never bother purging, but may start...

Simply place your gas line onto your in post of your sanitized keg and let the gas fill the keg for a short bit (10 seconds + or so). Remove your gas line, then directly before racking into your keg, pull your pressure relief valve to release all of the CO2 from within the keg. Remove the lid, and rack your beer over to the keg without splashing. You can also push your sanitizer out of the keg through the out line in this fashion to help purge your keg as well. But I just gave you directions for a ball lock keg, so hope that is what you have.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:01 am

brewinhard wrote:Simply place your gas line onto your in post of your sanitized keg and let the gas fill the keg for a short bit (10 seconds + or so). Remove your gas line, then directly before racking into your keg, pull your pressure relief valve to release all of the CO2 from within the keg. Remove the lid, and rack your beer over to the keg without splashing. You can also push your sanitizer out of the keg through the out line in this fashion to help purge your keg as well. But I just gave you directions for a ball lock keg, so hope that is what you have.

This is what I do.

I don't have pin lock kegs, but seems you could vent them just by removing the gas line and depressing the poppet as if you were letting the air out of a tire (the posts are effectively a large schraeder valve). Since the "in" side doesn't have a dip tube and sits above the surface of the beer, you'd just release gas but no beer.
skibikejunkie

PreviousNext

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing