Re: Did I just ruin my beer?

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:18 pm

Thanks everybody, I actually took my legged beer to a family reunion and while people did enjoy the beer the flavor was noticeable to my dad especially in the head. I think I am going to just have to pony up for a real co2 system. These were cross 12g cartridges btw. I can't remember if the ones from my not so LHBS had that flavor.
NHbeerscene

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:35 am

NHbeerscene wrote:Thanks everybody, I actually took my legged beer to a family reunion and while people did enjoy the beer the flavor was noticeable to my dad especially in the head. I think I am going to just have to pony up for a real co2 system. These were cross 12g cartridges btw. I can't remember if the ones from my not so LHBS had that flavor.

As long as they're not cheaping out & selling the correct cartridges designed for homebrew (the brand name escapes me at the moment, as does the place I stored my pocket charger) you shouldn't have that issue. For the 'real' CO2 system I would recommend swinging by your local welding supply shop & asking if they have any used 5# tanks for sale. Frequently they will.

I bit the bullet & bought a new one for a pretty penny. While most welding shops policy is to take your tank & give you a different one that's already filled in the back, I specifically requested they fill my tank & return it to me. I even went on the day they were scheduled to fill them. Somehow they 'lost' mine & I was given the 'best one they had in the back'. I've seen airplane wrecks with better looking metal. I sure hope the dickhead employee who stole it is enjoying all that extra money I put into it. I would never risk buying a brand new one again.

I wouldn't cheap out on the regulator though. I know Niko used to have brand new ones available, but I didn't notice if they were still posted on the NikoBrew.com website. Plenty of the other sponsors carry brand new ones. I would only suggest not buying from KegWorks. I returned the one I got from them a few years back - real cheap crap. The little extra for a 'gauge cage' is a really good idea as well.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:12 am

Look for a nearby fire supply shop as a source too. I picked up a used 5 lb CO2 tank for $50, filled. Pretty good shape.
Juan De Fuca

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:22 am

I have lighters & matches. Never had the need to visit a fire supply shop. :D Honestly, I've never heard of one, or perhaps I have under a different name?
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:33 pm

It's just like in the desert, they have Ice Stores, according to Justin. Maybe places that are cold and wet have Fire Stores?
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:53 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:It's just like in the desert, they have Ice Stores, according to Justin. Maybe places that are cold and wet have Fire Stores?

<GuinessCommercialVoice> Brilliant! </GuinessCommercialVoice>

:jnj :aaron
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:52 am

....fire 'protection' supply, sorry. they sell/service fire extinguishers, etc. I've never had a tank swapping issue at mine
Juan De Fuca

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:53 am

Juan De Fuca wrote:....fire 'protection' supply, sorry. they sell/service fire extinguishers, etc. I've never had a tank swapping issue at mine

I vote for Spider's answer. Sorry.

:drink
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing