First time kegger.. A couple of quick questions

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:15 am

Had a buddy of mine help me keg my beer a couple of nights ago. It was a 10 gallon batch so we did it in 2 corny kegs. I pressurized the one for 30lbs for 24 hours in a fridge, and at 8pm today the second will have been pressurized for 24 hours in the fridge... My question is from here what should I do (would ask my buddy but he is out of town now). It is an 8.0% ABV Belgian IPA. I know I need to get a splitter as I can only pressurize one keg at a time (getting that on the way home from work).

1. What amount of pressure should I put on these kegs now, and for how long?
2. Should they be in the fridge
3. Would I be able to pour out a bit of the beer now to try it? (at 4-5lbs?)

I would like to gain a better understanding on how different amounts of pressure affect the beer, and how quickly the pressure dissipates when not connected to a co2 tank.

Thanks ahead of time!!
Drinking one new beer everyday for one year. More than halfway there!

http://365beers.wordpress.com
noslenwerd

Re: First time kegger.. A couple of quick questions

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:24 am

noslenwerd wrote:Had a buddy of mine help me keg my beer a couple of nights ago. It was a 10 gallon batch so we did it in 2 corny kegs. I pressurized the one for 30lbs for 24 hours in a fridge, and at 8pm today the second will have been pressurized for 24 hours in the fridge... My question is from here what should I do (would ask my buddy but he is out of town now). It is an 8.0% ABV Belgian IPA. I know I need to get a splitter as I can only pressurize one keg at a time (getting that on the way home from work).

I would set to a lower serving pressure like 8 to 10 psi
They don't have to be in the fridge if you are not serving them
Yes
I would like to gain a better understanding on how different amounts of pressure affect the beer, and how quickly the pressure dissipates when not connected to a co2 tank.
Try checking this thread for lots of links and information on keging http://thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/view ... f=5&t=8715

Thanks ahead of time!!
The only soldier in the BN ARMY with Ink on his legs promoting The Brewing network and BN ARMY. Prost

"The BNA is my therapist." Mickp
Henning1966

Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:37 pm

Henning1966 wrote:
noslenwerd wrote:Had a buddy of mine help me keg my beer a couple of nights ago. It was a 10 gallon batch so we did it in 2 corny kegs. I pressurized the one for 30lbs for 24 hours in a fridge, and at 8pm today the second will have been pressurized for 24 hours in the fridge... My question is from here what should I do (would ask my buddy but he is out of town now). It is an 8.0% ABV Belgian IPA. I know I need to get a splitter as I can only pressurize one keg at a time (getting that on the way home from work).

Yes
Try checking this thread for lots of links and information on keging http://thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/view ... f=5&t=8715

Thanks ahead of time!!

Hmmm.. I appreciate the link.. it touches on my second point, but i think my first question is a bit unique and am still unsure?
Drinking one new beer everyday for one year. More than halfway there!

http://365beers.wordpress.com
noslenwerd

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:03 pm

noslenwerd wrote:
Henning1966 wrote:

Yes
Try checking this thread for lots of links and information on keging viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8715

Thanks ahead of time!!

Hmmm.. I appreciate the link.. it touches on my second point, but i think my first question is a bit unique and am still unsure?

Nope not unique at all. Set your serving pressure anywhere from 8 to 12 psi and serve off the keg. You "might" have to bleed off some CO2 with it being at 30psi but it really depends on how you want your beer to be served.
ACESFULL

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing