Bottle conditioning a Bam Beire clone.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:14 am

I just brewed this last night and am trying to plan ahead. So say I age it for 6 months, will the bret, lacto and residual yeast be enough to bottle condition it or will I need to add more yeast. I plan on priming it to 3 volumes using Palmers nomograph.

Rick :jnj
FSUplumber

Re: Bottle conditioning a Bam Beire clone.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:35 am

I bottled mine after 4 months at 1.003 I believe. Really wish I had added yeast at bottling, having really bad carbonation problems, some are even close to flat. I'm hoping over time the bugs will carb it up.
elproducto

Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:44 pm

If you plan on aging it for 6 mos before bottling, then I would probably add some fresh dried rehydrated champagne yeast to ensure proper bottle conditioning. I say champagne yeast b/c it is cheap ($1) and works well in an acidic environment (think bam biere). I prefer lalvin EC-1118 b/c its neutral and it comes in 5 gram packets. If you only age the beer for a short while, like several weeks in the carboy, then you would most likely not need to add any additional yeast for priming.

If you don't add any yeast the brett (which is quite strong in JP beers) will eventually carb up the beer but it might take longer than wanted (a couple mos sometimes). The fresh yeast is just an assurance for finishing your beer in a timely manner after you spent all that hard earned time creating it.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:22 am

I posted this to quick. Two days after I was listening to a beer smith podcast with Dan Morey on Trappist ales. He adds about a 1/3 package of the 04 dry yeast during bottling. He said it carbonates quick and forms a firm sediment. Thanks for the reply's.

Here is the link ti the pod cast.

http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2011/10/1 ... odcast-24/

FSUplumber

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:49 am

I have bottled conditioned year + old flanders without adding yeast and just using bugs. Its pretty much like brewing hard mentioned, it takes months and a little bit higher than normal priming sugar levels. If you want it to be timely, I would add the champagne yeast as mentioned.
BrewerJ

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:59 am

FSUplumber wrote:I posted this to quick. Two days after I was listening to a beer smith podcast with Dan Morey on Trappist ales. He adds about a 1/3 package of the 04 dry yeast during bottling. He said it carbonates quick and forms a firm sediment. Thanks for the reply's.

Here is the link ti the pod cast.

http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2011/10/1 ... odcast-24/

SO4 is a fantastic yeast to use for bottle conditioning. Do be aware that it is prone to diacetyl production which may linger in your bottled beer for a few weeks until the brett can clean it up. Not really a big deal, just give the bottles about 1 mos before trying your first one. Just a heads up....
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:23 pm

So how much more sugar. Say I bottle it in mid July the beer is 68 degrees, how much sugar to hit 3 volumes?
FSUplumber

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:27 pm

Will the beer still be 68 deg F in July? How old will the beer be at this point? If it is only about 6 mos then according to the priming sugar nomograph in BCS you would use about 5.2 oz of corn sugar to achieve 3 volumes of CO2.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing