Pitching Rate for Sour Beer

Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:04 am

I'm bottling sour beer, could you help me calculate the amount of yeast needed to bottle condition. Priming at 1 cup of dextrose per 5 gal. should give me 1 degree plato. (about 1 Brix) how much yeast should I add to the blending vessel?
I'm using Rockpile, RP15 Wine Yeast.
Do you hydrate the dry yeast before pitching and use nutrients (Go-Ferm)
Can you share your hydration procedure...
Thanks, Michael
Michael Kelly

Re: Pitching Rate for Sour Beer

Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:35 pm

I think the consensus from Brew Like a Monk was 1 million cells per mL of beer for bottling. A 20 billion cells per gram of properly hydrated dry yeast you would use 1 gram for 5 gallons.
Quin

Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Thanks Quin,
I got some good info from Vinnie at Russian River Brewing Co. Using his formula it came out to 1.5 grams of hydrated yeast per 5 gal. I Bottled last Sun. the 1st I'll be trying a bottle tomorrow and see what level of carbonation I have.
Michael
Michael Kelly

Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:41 pm

How did the 1.5 grams per 5 gallons work out? Did you get the desired/proper carbonation level?

Michael Kelly wrote:Thanks Quin,
I got some good info from Vinnie at Russian River Brewing Co. Using his formula it came out to 1.5 grams of hydrated yeast per 5 gal. I Bottled last Sun. the 1st I'll be trying a bottle tomorrow and see what level of carbonation I have.
Michael
Fred69

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing