Re: How To Reuse Your Heineken Mini-Kegs

Wed May 17, 2017 7:34 pm

Charlie wrote:You can't sanitize that stuff for shit!

Thanks for the graphic, that's pretty informative. I knew that stuff was in there permanently, and eventually figured I probably shouldn't reuse any given keg more than like twice before it began to taste metallic anyway. Sanitization really wasn't a problem as much as the metallic iron taste, most likely from the drilling of the hole more than anything else. So sanitization really had never come into play. But I get your point. Either way, it's not very viable for long term use. But for a one-off or twice or maybe three times if you're lucky, it does in fact work okay.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Thu May 18, 2017 8:28 am

The dishes are done, man!
snowcapt

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:05 pm

dmtaylor wrote:
Charlie wrote:You can't sanitize that stuff for shit!

Thanks for the graphic, that's pretty informative. I knew that stuff was in there permanently, and eventually figured I probably shouldn't reuse any given keg more than like twice before it began to taste metallic anyway. Sanitization really wasn't a problem as much as the metallic iron taste, most likely from the drilling of the hole more than anything else. So sanitization really had never come into play. But I get your point. Either way, it's not very viable for long term use. But for a one-off or twice or maybe three times if you're lucky, it does in fact work okay.

I think sneaking three uses out of this thing makes it more than worth the money, right? Did you ever solve the iron-taste problem? I know you gotta worry about filings and stuff but I feel like the taste would have to wear down eventually even if the inner metal isn't coated the same way, if that makes sense.
MalcomV1982

Previous

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing