Re: Storing Kegged Beer.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:52 am

Lefty wrote:Sounds like you need a chest freezer setup to hold more kegs. Storing carbonated keg brew at a warmer temp will most likely make the CO2 come out of solution. I would come up with some way to chill them or you would be better off bottling for now.

There won't be any CO2 lost unless you break the keg seal. That's why you can carbonate at room temperature. As long as you chill it down before serving there won't be any additional losses.

Sure, it's nice to be able to keep all your beer cold, not only for the slow down of staling reactions but also the preservation of hop flavor and aroma, as well as clarification. But if you can't keep them cold, what are you gonna do, not brew, or keep them on ice? Ridiculous. I've kept beers in the closet and some of them start to show their age after about 6 months, but never are they as bad as that skunky cardboard crap we get as imports that have been sitting on the shelf of the bottle shop for a year before purchase. Your beer will be fine, just don't expect it to taste exactly the same 5 years from now. There should not be a concern for bacterial/wild yeast if you work in a sanitary manner, no matter what temperature you store.

Dr. Bamforth quotes 3 months staling for a beer stored at 20 C. Mine go about twice as long at that temperature, I expect it has something to do with the fact that the beer is unfiltered, but this is just a guess.
Nyakavt

Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:35 am

You could always brew, keg, drink, repeat. Then you can brew all year round!
On Deck:
Cream Ale
Fermenting:
Dusseldorf Altbier
On Tap:
Brown Porter

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. What horribly boring lives they must lead." Micky Rourke, Barfly
Crackin

Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:05 pm

My kegs aren't lasting more than 2 months at the moment. I have a couple that are 6 weeks old and one goes in the fridge on Monday. It
will be empty in 2 and a half weeks. I had not thought of priming the kegs and naturally carbonating them.
It might be an Idea.

Lefty wrote:Sounds like you need a chest freezer setup to hold more kegs.

I would like to have a bigger fridge/freezer but i am in a small apartment and have to make some changes for the
keg fridge I have. (The sacrifices were well worth it)

I have added a T piece to my gas line so 1 beer is in the fridge and the other is warm and getting carbonated at the same time.
Sapper BN Army

Primary - Empty
#1 Brown Porter
#2 Empty
#3 Home made malt beer
#4 Empty
#5 Dortmunder Export
#6 Helles Bock
#7 Empty
Scotty BCS Kolsch
Hoppy Mad

Previous