Filtering for the first time

Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:19 am

I have a disk filter that I have never used. I made some Janet's brown and I know Tasty is a filtering man so I decided to give it a try. I know the general steps in the process but I am worried about oxegen pickup and sanitizing the actual filter medium. Any tips? Is it as easy as soaking the filter in Star San and flushing with co2.
loadmaster

Re: Filtering for the first time

Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:27 am

I just spray the pads with Star San, not soak them. It really Helps to use a corny as a bright tank to cold crash and let the yeast settle out for several days prior to filtering. It really increases the efficiency of the filter medium, less gunk to clog the pads. I use an empty corny to push CO2 into the filter to sanitize it and purge the O2. I let it sit 30 minutes. Then oxidation is no concern, but use the empty, CO2 purged empty corny, as your corny to be filled. Just put a baggie over the top as you fill. CO2 is heavier than O2, it will stay in the corny. Make sure you bleed the pressure relief on the corny lid to get a good blanket of CO2 on the beer before you carbonate. Don't even try to filter carbonated beer.

Use coarse pads on medium SRM beers, IPA's etc.
Use medium coarse pads on Pale ales
Use medium pads on lagers.

Just keep in mind that the clearer the beer going in, the quicker the filtering process will go!
Eldorado/ Lemon Drop Summer IPA
German Bock
Boh Pils brewed on a 96 degree day.
gwk453

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing