Whirlpool washing machine motor/pump for Doc's keg washer

Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:07 pm

I have acquired a Whirlpool washing machine motor and pump as I create my version of Doc's keg washer. I hooked the red wire that goes directly to the starting capacitor, Blue wire for high speed (you could use the orange for low speed), and 120V Hot or right plug prong together. I ensured that the other side of the start capacitor went to the wiring harness on the motor as it origionaly was wired. I hooked the yellow wire for the start winding and the white wire for the motor winding to the 120V Return or left plug prong together. Green went to the ground prong of the plug. I ran the pump off a GFCI outlet for extra safety, especially as it will be around a lot of water when I use it. The White with Black striped wire I did not connect to anything.

I'll post when I have pictures of the complete thing, but I don't have a bucket, nor hoses yet, so it may be a while...
bergerandfries

Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:38 pm

my brain is smoking
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:28 pm

A good picture of the plug will make all clear.

I picked up all the plumbing today and all I need is a bucket now!
bergerandfries

Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:04 pm

I did it, but I wonder about my spray pattern. I will post pics later on that. Remember that I put all of this together for under $20 total, and I used the motor out of a washing machine that has 2 speeds, so not only is it good for pumping, it might be able to be used for motorizing a grain mill.

Ok, here's the pump and bucket:
Close up of the bucket
Pump and wiring
Plug
Diagram of pump wiring from a good friend in the appliance industry. Please note that the motor and pump both can have their direction reversed!
bergerandfries

Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:01 am

So berger, are you happy with it? I think this is going to be my next project.

Does the pump heat the water up at all? I would think the hotter the better.

Cheers,
Push Eject
Asshat of the Year ('06)
Proud Drunk of the Year Nominee ('08)
Beevo, "I burned my tongue."
Doc, "Slow down."
Gadgets
CoVBS
Push Eject
Butcher

Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:59 am

maybe you could stick a carboy on it upside down to see what your spray patter looks like??
Thirsty Boy

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:59 am

Looks great man! But maybe for safetys sake slide that wiring in a watertight box...
Keggermeister AKA: HalifaxNick
keggermeister

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:09 pm

Push Eject wrote:So berger, are you happy with it? I think this is going to be my next project.

Does the pump heat the water up at all? I would think the hotter the better.

Cheers,
Push Eject

Push, yep I'm happy with it, especially the price. Free pump is the only pump I can afford these days. It does NOT heat the water, so you're going to have to start with something hot or add a heater to the system.

Thristy Boy wrote: stick a carboy on it

I'll do it Thristy! May take me a week or two, but don't give up on me.

keggermeister wrote: safetys sake slide that wiring in a watertight box

I will eventually, however, I have the unit properly grounded and I use a ground fault interupt circuit to power the whole system, so it's better than it seems.
bergerandfries

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment