Burner safe metal sheets

Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:15 am

What types of metal sheets are safe to use on and around a propane burner? What I want to do will get hot but not be in direct flame but I have to be able to work it by hand, get it at Lowes, and not give off toxic fumes when heated.
Will regular galvanized air duct metal work for this?
Tags and taxes on 3 vehicles = brewing withdrawals
KYT

Re: Burner safe metal sheets

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:07 pm

KYT wrote:What types of metal sheets are safe to use on and around a propane burner? What I want to do will get hot but not be in direct flame but I have to be able to work it by hand, get it at Lowes, and not give off toxic fumes when heated.

Galvanized steel can cause https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever
code
codewritinfool

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:11 pm

Is there a type of sheet metal you'd recommend?
KYT

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:29 pm

codewritinfool wrote:
KYT wrote:What types of metal sheets are safe to use on and around a propane burner? What I want to do will get hot but not be in direct flame but I have to be able to work it by hand, get it at Lowes, and not give off toxic fumes when heated.

Galvanized steel can cause https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

That shit ain't no joke. I got it from welding on galvanized pipe. Not full blown, but I did get pretty sick from it.

Lowe's should sell some stainless sheets meant to go behind kitchen stoves. It'll get warm to the touch, but it's not meant to get super hot. As I understand it the chromium in non food grade stainless can cause fume fever too. What exactly are you trying to do?
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:26 pm

I want to make a skirt around the sides of my bayou burner stand to block the wind and a flat piece on top with a hole in it where the kettle will sit. So the heat will be less likely to blow away. I'd like to add a shroud around the lower sides of the kettle too, to keep the heat near the sides.
Ideally, the only flames that could contact it would be from lapping around the kettle bottom.
KYT

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:10 am

Aluminum sheet works great as a heat shield for me. It's about 1/16th inch thick and I've used it for dozens of brews to deflect heat away from my ball lock valve and thermometer on my kettle. I place it right on the burner grill under the valve without any problems.
Don't use aluminum flashing (thin roll of material about 8" wide intended for roofing applications). There is a film of plastic coating that creates strong fumes the first time you heat it, stinks like hell!
I've found aluminum sheet metal at my local Ace hardware and True Value stores.
Grandpa

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:56 am

Cool thanks!
KYT

Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:57 pm

Grandpa wrote:Aluminum sheet works great as a heat shield for me. It's about 1/16th inch thick and I've used it for dozens of brews to deflect heat away from my ball lock valve and thermometer on my kettle. I place it right on the burner grill under the valve without any problems.
Don't use aluminum flashing (thin roll of material about 8" wide intended for roofing applications). There is a film of plastic coating that creates strong fumes the first time you heat it, stinks like hell!
I've found aluminum sheet metal at my local Ace hardware and True Value stores.

Could you post a pic or two, please? Sounds like it could be very useful so long as it's safe. I feel like so much heat (and therefore propane) gets wasted from my burner and would love to safely "redirect" it back to the kettle. I definitely don't want to mess around with any of this metal fume fever illness!!
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment