Oxygenation rates/equipment

Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:44 pm

TheDarkSide wrote:The aeration system I got (from Northern Brewer I think ) had a Whisper 10 aquarium pump. Looking back now, it was a waste of money for me since I got an aeration wand from Williams Brewing and use the red O2 tanks that BDawg mentioned. But if O2 is really expensive, I guess it wouldn't be worth it.

Just a note: the red O2 can I got at Home Depot is still going strong after 15 batches. I generally only run it about 1.5-2 minutes at the most.

I should probably start a new thread, but how in the world are you getting 15 batches out of one bottle?? I run one minute and get 3 batches, same wand and regulator from Williams.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: I split the thread for you, since it was diverging from the original post.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Re: Size of aquarium pump

Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:57 pm

Kbar wrote:
TheDarkSide wrote:The aeration system I got (from Northern Brewer I think ) had a Whisper 10 aquarium pump. Looking back now, it was a waste of money for me since I got an aeration wand from Williams Brewing and use the red O2 tanks that BDawg mentioned. But if O2 is really expensive, I guess it wouldn't be worth it.

Just a note: the red O2 can I got at Home Depot is still going strong after 15 batches. I generally only run it about 1.5-2 minutes at the most.

I should probably start a new thread, but how in the world are you getting 15 batches out of one bottle?? I run one minute and get 3 batches, same wand and regulator from Williams.

It's a 2.1 oz bottle (slightly bigger than the 1.4 oz bottles) but I'm not cranking the O2. Just enough to see it rising up. Then a quick hit on the headspace before turning it off.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:07 pm

Kbar wrote:

You are turning that way too high if you get 3 batches...the bubbles should barely reach the surface or you are just wasting O2. I have no idea how many batches but I would say I have gotten 20 batches or so...
Stinkfist

Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Noted - thank you!
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:58 pm

Can a brother get a link to the regulater and wand you boys are talking about, this seems like a very inexpensive way to make sure that I oxyginate my wort
:jnj -PSlaps
Bottled: fresh hop pale ale
On tap: Moose bile strong ale
In the cellar: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial Stout
Lagering:
In the fermenter: Moose drool clone
In the works: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial stout
PorkSlapper

Re: Oxygenation rates/equipment

Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:20 pm

I would do the let me google that for you thing...but I am too lazy so here yah go

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAMS ... -P699.aspx
Stinkfist

Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:00 am

It is a great setup and have used one for a couple of years. With the larger red bottle, I could do ~7 carboys. The O2 cans are expensive. I normally bought 3 @ a time. It sucks when the tank gets low and quit on you in the middle of use. I used 45 seconds a carboy full open. Time to upgrade. I spent the last summer checking out garage sales looking for an O2 tank, only found a mint 15 lb. CO2 tank for $20 + hydro test($25). Just said screw it and got an Airhog 2000. A nice piece of equipment with a regulator so I finally know how much O2 is going into my wort. Still have to hydro test every 5 years & $17 a fill.
Last edited by gwk453 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eldorado/ Lemon Drop Summer IPA
German Bock
Boh Pils brewed on a 96 degree day.
gwk453

Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:13 am

Kbar wrote:

I think you have a leak somewhere. I emptied one bottle because my stone was not tight enough and the oxygen rushes out of the bottle faster. even at low flow rate. I usually get 10+ batches out of one bottle. I'd submerge it in water to see if you are getting any large bubbles.
NervousDad

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment