Clogging the O2 stone

Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:48 am

Hi party people,

I'm going to make mead in a couple weeks and plan to use my 0.5 micron O2 stone to oxygenate. Due to the high sugar content of mead, should i expect a difference in terms of clogging the stone?

On a general note, how do you guys clean your aeration stones? I keep mine on a silicone tube and boil it. Should i do something else?

Thanks,

Dave
Dave_F.

Re: Clogging the O2 stone

Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:05 am

I just make sure I rinse the stone right after using it. I've done about 20 batches with my current stone (some almost as high gravity as mead) and it still runs like a champ.

My stone is the one from Williams that is attached to a SS rod. Once I'm done, I just rinse it off in the star san bucket and then rinse with water.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:57 pm

I boil my stone about 20min before and after use to sanitize it and clean it for storage. Be sure to not touch it with your hands because your oils can clog the pores. A sanitized piece of foil is helpful for this.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:50 pm

I usually sanitize mine by putting it in a bucket of starsan. After oxygenating the wort I'll push some more oxygen through it into either a bucket of PBW or starsan(depending on what is available) and let it soak for a while in the bucket. Then I will rinse it with water before drying it for the next batch.
bryngelbrau

Return to Brewing Equipment