Converting My Igloo

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:43 am

In a couple of weeks, I'm going to build a CPVC manifold for my 5 gallon igloo so I can start doing all grain brews (following these instructions: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/efficie ... ds-268491/ ... the 5 gallon manifold is half way down the page). My biggest concern is the metal pieces that will be used. Should I stick with brass like the posters in the thread, or should I go with stainless steel?

It looks like every tutorial on the net uses copper (I think it's copper instead of brass) for their ball valves and hose barbs, but I don't want to risk contaminating my beer. Am I being paranoid?
GilesTH

Re: Converting My Igloo

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:29 am

Brass will leach lead into your wort because of the acidity of the wort. Brass works fine for water and that's why those fittings are sold (intended use is for water). Copper is the next best. Wort will remove the oxidation layer of your copper and go into your wort. Yeast are noted to metabolize copper. Toxicity risk with copper is low. Keep in mind some breweries have copper kettles. With copper you might have to learn how to sweat joints with solder and propane. Stainless won't react to the acidity, it is generally neutral wort. Additionally, some fibers like polyester and nylon make good screening medium for the liquid temperatures of a mash tun. CPVC is preferred over PCV. I don't recall all the pros and cons there but CPVC is the yellowish cream colored plastic, PVC is generally the white colored plastic. Currently, I use a slotted copper manifold covered with a nylon mesh bag. My copper manifold is not soldered, it is held together by the nylon bag it is enclosed in. I hope this helps.
Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one, some are kinda shitty
cornhole

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:38 am

Surface lead can be removed from brass, making it fine for use. The Fuckin' Palmer gives directions on this in HtB.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:45 am

spiderwrangler wrote:Surface lead can be removed from brass, making it fine for use. The Fuckin' Palmer gives directions on this in HtB.

I've looked pretty closely at the first edition, and I finally got a copy of the 3rd edition on its way. I just figured I'd ask in case there are issues getting the book before I get a chance to read the instructions. Or if its way over my head. Which could happen.
GilesTH

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:50 pm

Basically it is a vinegar and water soak, but I don't recall the exact ratio he suggested.
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:29 pm

Have you had a chance to listen to the Metallurgy show on Brew Strong?

Brass really isn't any more of a worry than copper, toxicity-wise. You can remove the surface lead with the quick vinegar/hydrogen peroxide soak (2:1), but Palmer has also said that he doesn't even do it on his own parts. The amount of lead is miniscule & the same effect is achieved after a brew or 2. Yes, the lead will end up in those batches. No, it won't hurt you.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:26 am

Ozwald wrote: You can remove the surface lead with the quick vinegar/hydrogen peroxide soak (2:1), .

Yeah, that's what I meant....
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:34 am

Ozwald wrote:Have you had a chance to listen to the Metallurgy show on Brew Strong?

Brass really isn't any more of a worry than copper, toxicity-wise. You can remove the surface lead with the quick vinegar/hydrogen peroxide soak (2:1), but Palmer has also said that he doesn't even do it on his own parts. The amount of lead is miniscule & the same effect is achieved after a brew or 2. Yes, the lead will end up in those batches. No, it won't hurt you.

Good to know :D

My copy of How to Brew should be in the mailbox when I get home from work, and I'm super stoked about it! Now if only I could get my eyes to clear up. A blind homebrewer would have a tough time making beer.
GilesTH

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment