Re: Show Off Your Fermentation Chamber

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:07 am

JoeBeer100 wrote:When using a temperature controller, do you put the probe in the air, or attach it to a carboy? For the fermentation chamber, I am considering using a household thermostat and a relay. Of course, this would only be able to measure the air temperature.

I use a thermowell placed inside the carboy. If that is not in your plans, tape the probe to the side of the carboy and cover with foam on the outside.
My Homebrewing Adventures/Blog

Image @Lewybrewing
________
Corporal BN Army. South San Diego Platoon, TJ Protection Force
Lewybrewing

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:54 am

Lewybrewing wrote:I use a thermowell placed inside the carboy. If that is not in your plans, tape the probe to the side of the carboy and cover with foam on the outside.

Chris,

Did you ever find any significant difference between using the thermowell and taping to the outside? I tape mine to the outside and insulate with bubblewrap.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:49 pm

Lewybrewing wrote:I use a thermowell placed inside the carboy. If that is not in your plans, tape the probe to the side of the carboy and cover with foam on the outside.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up building what I had planned, and made 2 separate fermentation chambers in the same bar base. The bar is still a work in progress, but I posted about it here (6th post down with pictures): http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30136&start=8

I usually bungee the probe to the side of one of my carboys, and that works very well.
JoeBeer100

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:17 am

TheDarkSide wrote:

Chris,

Did you ever find any significant difference between using the thermowell and taping to the outside? I tape mine to the outside and insulate with bubblewrap.

I did some tests when I first got the thermowell and the inside of the carboy was a solid 3 degrees higher than the outside sticky temp reading throughout fermentation. Now this could be that the sticky temp reading is off calibration, as I've never tested it.
My Homebrewing Adventures/Blog

Image @Lewybrewing
________
Corporal BN Army. South San Diego Platoon, TJ Protection Force
Lewybrewing

Previous

Return to Brewing Equipment