Brew Kettle Coupling Too High?

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:06 pm

I have a 10 gallon polar ware pot. The coupling for my thermometer sits at about 4 gallons. When I'm warming my mashout or sparge water, I typically only need 2.5 - 3 gallons. I have been watching the thermometer, assuming the steam will get the approximate temp, and using an instant read digital thermometer to be more precise. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?
GloridazeBrewing

Re: Brew Kettle Coupling Too High?

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:15 pm

I don't believe that will give you an accurate read if it isn't in the water.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:38 pm

Yeah that will def give you a lower temp than actual that is the reason the blichmann kettles have the brewmometer that rotates and bends too accommodate different volumes
Stinkfist

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:14 am

I agree that the reading isn't accurate. Does the probe on your theremometer bend or just the face? If the probe bends down for lower water levels, can you post a link to a store that carries it? Thanks.
GloridazeBrewing

Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:55 pm

I don't think the probe on the blichman kettles adjusts, it is just the dial face that adjusts so you can read it more easily.
CRBrewHound

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:46 am

Why not just add more water ? Once your at temp you can run off the extra ino a bucket and use it for cleaning
Petedadink

Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:10 pm

I'm with Petedadink. You can never have to much hot water. What ever you have left in your HLT just use to clean your equipment.
LeakyPolynesian

Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:44 pm

Water is cheap. Heat up plenty of it. An extra couple of gallons is not going to run up your utility bills. You only need an accurate temperature for you initial dough in. Instead of going for an exact volume and then dumping the whole thing into your mash tun, use a graduated pitcher or bucket to measure out the water you need after it is hot. This eliminates having to lift a hot kettle. Also you have a head start on heating the water you need for the sparge. Just add more water after you get the mash going. As others have said, any hot water left can be used for cleaning. You will need that water to clean the mash tun.

Wayne

P.S. Also check out my post here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29058
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Return to Brewing Equipment