Building a large mash tun..

Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:32 pm

So I picked up a large pot from a craiglist buy with some other brew gear.

It's about 15" around and 3 feet tall. It fits 28 (i think) gallons when its filled about 1" below the pour spout. It's a old piece of equipment from a dairy and has various welds and fittings on it over the years it looks like. I'm gonna grind and polish the hell out of the inside so it's smooth as a babies bottom.

I'd like to turn it into a dedicated MT and want some suggestions on which features I should add. I've done a few batches of all grain with borrowed equipment so this will be my first dedicated piece. I am a machinist so holes and metal work are no problem and have several professional welders at my beck and call.

So far thinking ball valve, dip spout, false bottom.

maybe a sight glass?
Munimula

Re: Building a large mash tun..

Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:43 am

It sort of depends on how you are going to use it...I think the sight glass is sort of unnecessary but a false bottom, ball valve and dip spout are good...you might want to think of some sort of sparge assembly

Cheers! :pop
On Deck: porter, berliner weisse
Fermenting: xtra pale
In the keg/bottle: golden delicious apple cider, brown rice lager, german pils
EL TIZZO

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:19 am

With metal, you definitely should place some kind of recirculation system (HERMS or RIMS) on it, for holding your tempertures.
CRBrewHound

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:09 am

CRBrewHound wrote:With metal, you definitely should place some kind of recirculation system (HERMS or RIMS) on it, for holding your tempertures.

How about doing an aluminium flange around the base to keep the heat off the sides and wrapping it in refletix? The flange being used as a heat shield for the wrap
Munimula

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:15 am

Munimula wrote:How about doing an aluminium flange around the base to keep the heat off the sides and wrapping it in refletix? The flange being used as a heat shield for the wrap

BrewHound was referring to retaining the heat of your mash. From your response, it sounds like you are planning on direct firing the mash, right? I direct fire for my 5 gal batches, but I am always recirculating while the flame is on to prevent over-heating any portion of the mash and to try and keep the temperature pretty consistent throughout.

Maybe describe your plans and we can help you avoid some potential problems if anything seems suspect.
@Day_Brew
PFC - Chicagoland Engineering Div.
_________
Primary: Berliner, RIS (for barrel), Trippel, Wit
Keg: APA, Eng. Brown, Belg. Stout w/ Bourbon Oak, BDS, Brett Experiment
anday6

Return to Brewing Equipment