Whirlpool Chiller

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:33 am

Hey All,
I've used my new march pump and immersion (whirlpool) chiller on my last couple of batches. It definitely cools much faster, but I've heard all of the guys on the BN talk about a trub cone. I have yet to experience this.

My process:
I run the pump for the last 5 min of the boil.
Shut off the flame, add 0 min Hops (whirlpool for however long the recipe calls for)
Turn on cold water.

Then after its cool, I let it settle for 30 min.

I still end up with a thin and mostly even layer of trub and hops in the bottom of my kettle.

I do 10 gallon batches and use whirl flock (1/2 a tab per batch)
Cranny04

Re: Whirlpool Chiller

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:12 am

Just a couple things. What kind of kettle are you using? Keggles, because of the rounded bottom, don't really get a trub cone. Wider aspect (think tuna can vs. soup can) kettles with a flat bottom are best for whirlpooling. Also, pulling out the chiller after you reach your temp will allow that whirlpool to function properly. The chiller being in there completely messes up the fluid dynamics.

Check out http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Whirlpooling for some extra info on the dynamics of the whirlpool.
@Day_Brew
PFC - Chicagoland Engineering Div.
_________
Primary: Berliner, RIS (for barrel), Trippel, Wit
Keg: APA, Eng. Brown, Belg. Stout w/ Bourbon Oak, BDS, Brett Experiment
anday6

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:28 am

anday6 wrote:Just a couple things. What kind of kettle are you using? Keggles, because of the rounded bottom, don't really get a trub cone. Wider aspect (think tuna can vs. soup can) kettles with a flat bottom are best for whirlpooling. Also, pulling out the chiller after you reach your temp will allow that whirlpool to function properly. The chiller being in there completely messes up the fluid dynamics.

Check out http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Whirlpooling for some extra info on the dynamics of the whirlpool.

I have a 15 gallon pot, and I pull the chiller out before I let it settle. I'll check out the link, thanks for the response.
Cranny04

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:46 am

I just read through that link.... Do you think my bulkhead and dip tube would cause the problem?
Cranny04

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:01 pm

I don't have a diptube so I don't know how much an affect it would have, but I think it would hurt is some.

Also, the cone falls apart pretty quickly once it breaks through the top surface of the wort. So, in a dark beer, you might never see it while it's still intact.
@Day_Brew
PFC - Chicagoland Engineering Div.
_________
Primary: Berliner, RIS (for barrel), Trippel, Wit
Keg: APA, Eng. Brown, Belg. Stout w/ Bourbon Oak, BDS, Brett Experiment
anday6

Return to Brewing Equipment