Good 20 Gallon HLT Options? (Plastic OK)

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:44 am

Anyone come across any good & cheap options for an HLT?

As the subject like states I'm ok with proper plastic options that won't leach anything at 80C degrees. -Insulation is a bonus but obviously not required as it can be easily added later.

I'm looking for a tank that is narrow and tall to reduce the amount of heat loss to the air, to ensure a good convection current while heating, and because I'm going to install a copper coil in the HLT for a HERMs system.
This is the best option I've found so far; if I could find somewhere in Seattle for local pickup, I think I'd definitely go with it: http://www.tank-depot.com/productdetail ... e&optname=

On a related note: Anyone know of a cheap pump that can be safely used with 80C water only? (I don't want to have to buy a $100 chugger pump just to recirc the water in my HLT to aid heat transfer in the HERMS coil.)

-What sort of pump rate is appropriate to recirculate a 20 gallon HLT? (It'll probably only have 10 gallons in it while the HERMS is in operation.)

Adam
biertourist

Re: Good 20 Gallon HLT Options? (Plastic OK)

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:38 am

I've been told that above 60C you need to use PP and PP vessels of this size are hard to come by...

I might have to look for aluminum options or suck it up and just pay for stainless...

Adam
biertourist

Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:50 pm

Amazon has 20 gallon Aluminum stockpots for under $90. I have been thinking about making an AL HLT. Right now I use my old kettle, and it's a bit small - 8.5 gallons. I batch sparge, so it's not really a big deal anyway, but if I wanted to fly sparge I would need something bigger for my 10 gallon rig.
Beer_Baron

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:59 am

I have a 15 gallon minibrew system. HLT and MLT. Yes, specify Polypropelene. 220F working in most compounds. My wish list for the next HLT and MLT is still plastic. Easy to machine and use bulkhead fittings. Stainless Alok compression on Stainless tube, or high temp PP fittings push to connect with tubing, or PP bulkherad pipe fittings. See USPLastics.

I would like a conical bottom to fully drain. 4500W element and triclamp bulkhead fittings make it a pain to disconnect all connections to get all the water out. Important to maintain a dry MLT and HLT to prevent Bacteria/Fungus growth. A pick up tube would help.

MLT will be a large base to height ratio as in the 9014 series from USPlastics. 18"x12" base, and then 18" high for 22 gallons. Self standing, high temp, easy to machine. Onlinemetals has a stock size 18"12" 3/32" perforated stainless false bottom that will drop into this 9014. Use bulkhead fittings, with a move to 3/4" flow diameter vs. 1/2". Tired of the low flows from HLT to MLT via March Pump.

Search for plastic containers. Keep the base to height ratio high as to precent compacting the grain bed. Shallow is better.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:07 pm

Ok, has anyone found any TALL stainless or aluminum options? (20 gallon capacity but at least a 2:1 height to diameter ratio; ideally 3:1 or 4:1)

Ebay certainly has some cheap aluminum and stainless options but not that are much taller than they are wide.

Adam
biertourist

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:03 pm

I've only seen up to 10g in tall aluminium.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:18 am

You might try looking for one of the older Italian kettles morebeer used to sell. The were much taller than wide (maybe 2:1). Call morebeer to see if they have still around.
Quin

Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:23 pm

I'm setting up a deal with the guy who sells the imported Chinese ones on Ebay via California.
A 15 Gallon Kettle and a 20 Gallon HLT can be had for right around $200 total shipped to the West Coast when purchased together. It's not the geometry I wanted for the HLT but the price is right and as long as I size the electric element well I can double fill it when I do a 10 gallon batch if need be. (It'll cost me $75 for an old keg off of Craig's list and these are going for the same price before shipping so I'd rather have a new kettle.)

Adam
biertourist

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment