Re: Mashtun Efficiency: Space Below False Bottom

Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:32 am

Could it also be hypothesized that enzymes are distributed evenly throughout the liquid? If that is the accepted case, then fewer enzymes are in contact with the grain thereby converting less.

As to a mash being too thick lowering efficiency, I might hypothesize that the population of enzymes is so great that they are unable to "get at" the starches to convert them. I would further hypothesize that more time in a "too thick" mash would raise efficiency and allow for the desired conversion rate.

Again, straight from my ass.

~widget
Buttwidget

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 am

biertourist wrote:I've heard quite a few times that the more space you have below your false bottom the lower your efficiency will go but I've never heard an explanation as to WHY this is true or what the ideal amount of space below the false bottom is.

I would think that this refers to home brew equipment, single infusion mash with no re-circulation. I think that if you are using re-circulation (even manual), the dead space becomes a non-issue.
Quin

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:44 am

Quin wrote:
biertourist wrote:I've heard quite a few times that the more space you have below your false bottom the lower your efficiency will go but I've never heard an explanation as to WHY this is true or what the ideal amount of space below the false bottom is.

I would think that this refers to home brew equipment, single infusion mash with no re-circulation. I think that if you are using re-circulation (even manual), the dead space becomes a non-issue.

Single infusion mash with no re-circulation also refers to any system modeled off of an English brew plant. The issue of the space below a false bottom was mentioned at my BrewLab course in the UK so I think the commenters here so far have solved the mystery. -The enzymes being evenly distributed into the liquid portion and therefore not in direct contact with the grain makes a lot of sense as you don't have a recirculation in British brewing -the mashes are also thicker and the mash tends to float (vs. sink in a German mash where the water to grist ratio is higher) which means even less enzymes in contact with the grain.

-I'm actually seeing even MORE reason to constantly recirculate the mash in a simple British mashtun as we walk through this...

Adam
biertourist

Previous

Return to Brewing Equipment