False bottom

Sat May 26, 2012 4:06 pm

I would like to brew a sour beer and I'm thinking I'll need to use my brew kettle as the mash tun instead of the 10 gallon cooler that I usually use. It's an 8 gallon kettle, so I'm assuming the matching false bottom (which I'm yet to purchase) fits pretty snug. My question is, should it go above or below the temperature gauge? Seems like it would make cleaning the kettle more difficult?

Not sure if I'm way off base here or not. Any suggestions are appreciated!
trvlnpt34

Re: False bottom

Tue May 29, 2012 2:41 pm

Why do you need to use your brew kettle as a mash tun instead of your typical mash tun cooler?
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue May 29, 2012 2:47 pm

Might be planning on doing sour mash and is wary of using his cooler? Shouldn't me too much of an issue, even if you get bugs living in your cooler, you'll be boiling anything after that anyway...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue May 29, 2012 7:21 pm

According to the recipe, a "Lambic Style" mash schedule is needed, so I have to increase the temp about four times. Figured it would be easier to do this using my kettle on the burner rather than trying to increase the mash temp in a cooler. I've never brewed a sour beer before so it should be interesting. You guys have any tips?
trvlnpt34

Wed May 30, 2012 6:59 am

Do the mash in your kettle, tranfer into your cooler, rinse out the kettle, start runoff as usual.
-"You want a beer?"
-"But it's 7am"
-"Scotch?"
ziggy

Wed May 30, 2012 8:20 am

trvlnpt34 wrote:According to the recipe, a "Lambic Style" mash schedule is needed, so I have to increase the temp about four times. Figured it would be easier to do this using my kettle on the burner rather than trying to increase the mash temp in a cooler. I've never brewed a sour beer before so it should be interesting. You guys have any tips?

"Lambic style," meaning a turbid mash?
Fermenting: English Mild
Conditioning: Wild Pumpkin
Drinking: Funky Saison
Cody

Wed May 30, 2012 12:40 pm

I have done turbid mashes with my cooler and several other boiling vessels. Typically you only need a fairly large amount of constant boiling water to help you raise the mash temps in your cooler. Plus a smaller kettle (think several quarts only) to keep your first pull runnings (kept around 180 or so to prevent conversion and added back later to provide extra unfermentables for the long term fermentation of bacteria and brett).

Honestly, as much as turbid mashes are reported as the only way to make a true lambic, there are other more simple ways to pull this off as well. I have done single infusion mashes, and extract lambics with maltodextrin and ground wheat (both flaked and raw) steeped to simulate the turbid mash with good results.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed May 30, 2012 8:19 pm

It's the Dawson's Kriek recipe from Northern Brewer. I don't even know what a turbid mash is, but this is what the recipe says to do:

MASH SCHEDULE: LAMBIC-STYLE MULTI STEP
Glucan Rest: 112° F for 20 minutes
Protein Rest: 125° F for 20 minutes
Beta Sacch’ Rest: 149° F for 45 minutes
Alpha Sacch’ Rest: 160° F for 30 minutes
Mashout: 170° F for 10 minutes

I just ordered my false bottom, so I'll just give it a shot using that in my kettle.

Thanks for all the responses :)
trvlnpt34

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment