Flowmeter for kegging

Mon May 21, 2012 4:44 pm

I've been thinking about building a flowmeter for kegging from a conical so that I know when I've hit 5gal. I was thinking I could hook an Arduino up to some flowmeters like folks do for kegbot projects. Then I saw this at the bike shop yesterday for around $30:

http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreati ... meter.aspx

Anyone know if this would be a safe and flavor-neutral option for kegging? Kinda seems too good to be true, but for that price I'd be willing to take a chance on a small quantity of low-cost beer.
leaky_porch

Re: Flowmeter for kegging

Mon May 21, 2012 6:29 pm

Hows about you weigh the kegs?
snowcapt

Mon May 21, 2012 7:14 pm

snowcapt wrote:Hows about you weigh the kegs?

This is what I do. I've got an old bathroom scale I set the keg on and tare it with everything hooked up
Bokonon

Tue May 22, 2012 6:22 am

Bokonon wrote:

This is what I do. I've got an old bathroom scale I set the keg on and tare it with everything hooked up

:P

I've been meaning to get a scale for this purpose, but I like the idea of being able to precisely control how much volume is transferred.
leaky_porch

Wed May 23, 2012 8:11 am

Techincally this will not work due to the diffences in weight of solution with variable sugar content, and variable alcohol content. You could make an approximation for this and have a small amount of variance of volume based on that or create a chart for weight of solutions based on different starting gravities.
CRBrewHound

Wed May 23, 2012 10:17 am

CRBrewHound wrote:

Techincally this will not work due to the diffences in weight of solution with variable sugar content, and variable alcohol content. You could make an approximation for this and have a small amount of variance of volume based on that or create a chart for weight of solutions based on different starting gravities.

I think that at 5 gallons, the difference would be pretty damn negligible.
so there.
snowcapt

Wed May 23, 2012 10:51 am

Agreed, on it not mattering a whole lot. The residual gravity against water generally ranges from (1.010-1.030), that works out to less than 0.17 pounds. When you're talking about 5 gallons of beer clocking in around 42 pounds (42.35 for a 1.015 FG), you won't be very far off.
@Day_Brew
PFC - Chicagoland Engineering Div.
_________
Primary: Berliner, RIS (for barrel), Trippel, Wit
Keg: APA, Eng. Brown, Belg. Stout w/ Bourbon Oak, BDS, Brett Experiment
anday6

Wed May 23, 2012 5:19 pm

I tried it once with a cheaper scale. Right before it hit 38 lbs., beer sprayed everywhere (just ahead of schedule). And yes, I zeroed it with the kegs and everything hooked up.

Now, I just flush with CO2 and fill with aluminum foil over the keg mouths (two at a time---Fredo style). Oxygenation doesn't scare me as much as wasted beer all over the garage floor.
I've consumed all of my homebrew. I'm worried. I can't relax. Now what?

Pvt. 1st Class BN Army
DCBC

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment