March Pump Sluggish

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:38 am

During my last brew, my March pump couldn't lift the water to my HLT. I moved the water manually, then disassembled the pump while I heated the sparge water. After one years use without disassembly the March pump cavity and impeller were spotless. The stainless steel impeller shaft needed to be cleaned up with 600 grit emery paper. Brew day saved! Love my March pump. It is a geat product!
Eldorado/ Lemon Drop Summer IPA
German Bock
Boh Pils brewed on a 96 degree day.
gwk453

Re: March Pump Sluggish

Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:55 pm

Did you find out what the issue was? Bad prime? What is your oiling schedule for the motor?
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:28 pm

The stainless steel fixed shaft that is part of the internal pump housing, that the impeller spins on, had some minor crud build up on it that didn't allow the impeller to spin freely. Once I cleaned the shaft with 600 grit paper, reinstalled the impeller, and reassembled the pump. It pumped great. The motor speed was always normal because it is a magnetic drive. I noticed the problem when I couldn't pump water vertically 4 feet to my HLT. It is easy & quick to dissasemble. A nice design!
Eldorado/ Lemon Drop Summer IPA
German Bock
Boh Pils brewed on a 96 degree day.
gwk453

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:59 am

The sugars in the wort and the heat will cause the sugars to 'plate' onto the impeller shaft. I use a March 809HS for my RIMS. Once I start mashing, I never turn off the pump motor. When I'm moving hoses or other actions, I just shut the output valve and leave the pump spinning. If I don't do that, sometimes the plated sugars make it impossible for the motor to restart the pump.

A hot recirculation of PBW solution after brewing does take care of the plated sugar on the shaft.
Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Download Bru'n Water here:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Water/464551136933908?ref=bookmarks
mabrungard

Return to Brewing Equipment