Stir plate options

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:35 pm

I need / want to upgrade my stir plate. I have one that will do 1800 ml with some re adjusting. I want to be able to do 4000 ml to Doc's 3 gallon stir plates. In my quest to do 12 G batches to save time and money I forgot about the cost of yeast.... So I need recommendations,

Thanks
TimCA
TimCA

Re: Stir plate options

Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:12 pm

I built 3 stir plates with computer fans and converters to power them. Once they all failed, I went with a standard desk fan from Ace hardware. Glued the rare earth magnets to the blades, took the cover off, and ran the power through a dimmer switch. 5 years and it still works. The trick is to have a vessel with a flat bottom, if your vessel is not flat you will need a barbell stir bar (per Doc). You could probable use one of those large pyrex pots, they have a flat bottom. Or use dry yeast, it has improved over the last 5 years, cheaper, easier.
larry78cj7

Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:02 am

care to post a picture of your fan plate larry?
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:21 am

yeah, I would like to see where you placed the magnets on the fan...I'm assuming towards the middle on the hub instead of out on the fan blades...?...I have almost all the parts to make one of these...been using a computer one with a 2000mL flask for a bit but like you I am upgrading to 10 gallons here pretty soon and am going to need more yeast...cheers
:bnarmy:
On Deck: porter, berliner weisse
Fermenting: xtra pale
In the keg/bottle: golden delicious apple cider, brown rice lager, german pils
EL TIZZO

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:16 pm

i have an extra one of these i'll sell you (mine is much cleaner than this one)...

MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '12]

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, olny the frist and lsat ltteers need be at the rghit pclae. Tihs is becsuae the hamun mnid deos not raed evrey lteter by iteslf, but the wrod as a whloe.
mordantly

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:29 pm

I used to have that same model. It worked great for 2 liter flasks, but it wouldn't handle my new 4 liter flask.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:46 pm

The fan base is large and very stable. The power cord runs to the outlet box. The power for the outlet is ran through the switch, which is a dimmer switch. The CD, death magnetic which is fitting and a much better use for the CD, is epoxied to the fan and the magnets to the CD. Yes, the magnets are not centered, but it works great. I put a piece of Lexan on top of the fan to hold the flask.
larry78cj7

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:49 pm

I bought everything at Ace hardware, even the magnets. :jnj
larry78cj7

Return to Brewing Equipment