Re: Kettle screen - also need a hop bag?

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:14 pm

mfischer2 wrote:I am going to try out my new Morebeer brew pot tomorrow ..............

I'm curious. Now that you have a flat bottom boil kettle, why don't you do a whirlpool and not use a screen?

Tasty

yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:04 am

TastyMcD wrote:I'm curious. Now that you have a flat bottom boil kettle, why don't you do a whirlpool and not use a screen?

Obviously because he bought a new toy and want's to use it! :D
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue May 08, 2012 7:23 am

TastyMcD wrote:I'm curious. Now that you have a flat bottom boil kettle, why don't you do a whirlpool and not use a screen?

Tasty

I just ordered a plate chiller to use with my recently acquired keggle, since my 5 gallon IC was taking way too long to chill each batch. After listening to many CYBI episodes my plan is to whirlpool and rest immediately after flameout, then run off through the plate chiller - just like the big boys. :D

So I'm wondering if I need to put some sort of hop screen in the keggle. I use pellet hops almost exclusively and plan to gravity feed through the chiller. My keggle valve is high enough to leave a couple gallons behind, which I already plan for in my recipes even though I've been siphoning out of the keggle.

Will the trub cone after my whirlpool hold together well enough, or do I need a screen to make sure the wort comes out clean?
Trencher

Fri May 11, 2012 8:34 am

TastyMcD wrote:
mfischer2 wrote:I am going to try out my new Morebeer brew pot tomorrow ..............

I'm curious. Now that you have a flat bottom boil kettle, why don't you do a whirlpool and not use a screen?
Tasty

Will the bottom of a keggle, not being flat, prevent the formation of a trub cone when whirlpool chilling?
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Sat May 12, 2012 4:03 am

You still get cone formation in a keg, but it doesn't look as nice. Think of it more as an inverted cone so instead of it comming to a point in the middle, it stays flat on top. Though does it really matter what it looks like as long as it works.
On tap: dunkelwiessen, american brown ale
Fermenting: american barleywine
On deck: ? what ever is next
PSUHomebrewer

Sat May 12, 2012 5:49 am

So, just use the valve and no siphon?
I have a kettle screen and it works pretty good. I also use bags. If i can a accomplish the whirlpool, its just one less thing to clean. Stupid cleaning.
Also, i just kegged my latest jba. Cant wait to do Tasty's tip keg transfer.
yahoo!
snowcapt

Previous

Return to Brewing Equipment