Using Cast Iron for Brewing???

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:01 am

I have a 25 gallon Cast Iron kettle and have made several different soups in it over the years that turn out awesome. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried brewing any beer in cast iron? If so, how did it turn out? What are your thoughts?
zac.evans

Re: Using Cast Iron for Brewing???

Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:50 pm

Is it enamel coated cast iron, or straight seasoned metal?
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:35 pm

I wouldn't try it if it's plain cast iron. pH goes down in the boil (and more so during fermentation), and the acidic wort will pick up the iron from the pot.
It will be NASTY (and unfixable) if it picks up iron.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:23 am

In addition to what has been said, cast iron is also porous. As it is used all those little holes get clogged up with all the stuff that has been cooked in the pot. The term "seasoning" refers to that process. The non stick qualities of a well seasoned cast iron pan/pot comes from those holes getting completely filled with grease and whatever leaving the surface completely smooth. In an acidic wort, some of that junk will come loose along with trace amounts of iron. Nutritionists even advise folks to use cast iron cookware so you need those trace amounts of iron in your diet.

Cast iron kettles are cool, just not for brewing.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:18 pm

Bugeater wrote:In addition to what has been said, cast iron is also porous. As it is used all those little holes get clogged up with all the stuff that has been cooked in the pot. The term "seasoning" refers to that process. The non stick qualities of a well seasoned cast iron pan/pot comes from those holes getting completely filled with grease and whatever leaving the surface completely smooth.

Yes, exactly... My dad once tried making a big batch of tomato sauce in cast iron...the whole thing turned black.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:56 pm

It is entirely possible to get too much iron in your diet and it's really bad.
That would likely lead to lots of ionic iron in your beer. I can't guess how much but lots.
Google Iron Overdose
HEY~!! It's a hobby~!! It's NOT supposed to make sense~!!
Cliff

Return to Brewing Equipment