Help me brainstorm a fermentation cabinet

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:02 am

So I say this a lot, but I brew on a pretty small budget, and I like to keep things somewhat low tech because that stuff is easier tO fix. That being said, my next idea for a major change tO my brewing style is to build myself a cabinet to house my carbOys and keep them cool.

Basically, I want to do a simple plywood and 2x4 cabinet with styrofoam lining. Trying to use recycled wood/repurposed materials to do this with, any ideas you have there are appreciated. I can also get styrofoam pieces that should work.

The cabinet will either hold 3 carboys vertically or 2x2 horizontally. What I'm thinking is since there will be a good bit of insulation, some frozen 2 liters should be enough to keep it to temp. No need for fans or anything just yet.

So I'm trying to figure out a) if I'm not thinking of anything I need to be thinking of, and b) how to go about planning this thing. Has anyone else built something like this? I'd be interested to see your input, or links to anyone else who might have done this before me. I wanna make sure I get it right the first time.
JakeAndBake

Re: Help me brainstorm a fermentation cabinet

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:00 pm

I'm starting to design one myself, but I'm going to have temp control. I'm probably going to go with 2x6 since a 2x4 is not actualy 4 inches wide. I'm also planning on dividing the areas so I have a largering area(32-40) a cellering area(40-50) and then the fermentation area. Well atleast that's the final plan, probably goin to just start with the fermentation area.

The idea of bottles may or may not work since unlike with water air isn't a good conductor of heat. If that is your only option, you may wan to incorporate a storage tub an fill it with water in the cabinet using the canine to help keep the water at the proper temp.
On tap: dunkelwiessen, american brown ale
Fermenting: american barleywine
On deck: ? what ever is next
PSUHomebrewer

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:23 pm

For a heated box:
build a box with an easy access opening. Line it inside with any insulation. Put in an interior layer of the cheapest material you can get like OSB or even hardboard. Paint the inside liberally with - - anything so long as the finished coating is not water soluable.
Wire it with a Johnson controller and a couple of 200 watt light bulbs on a dimmer. Install a little fan if you are into overdoing things.

You can refrigerate it too if you can get you hands on a little Dehumidifier or Window AC unit to salvage. Smaller is better coz you aren't trying to get it really cold just cooler than ambient by a few degrees in most cases.
HEY~!! It's a hobby~!! It's NOT supposed to make sense~!!
Cliff

Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:58 pm

JakeAndBake wrote: 3 carboys vertically or 2x2 horizontally

I've never tried fermenting with carboys on their side.... :crazybitch:
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:06 pm

For the cost of wood now, I would look at picking up an old freezer or fridge on craigslist.
And use that as your cabinet and buy a temp controller.
dunleav1

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:07 pm

BTV had an episode where a guy had built one. I think the episode was titled bad ass brewery. It may give you a better idea on how to build one. Looked pretty cool. But I too think a fridge with temp control would be easier
TheeMattSmith

Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:24 pm

Yeah, now I'm wondering if a fridge just isn't the way to go, but I was kinda holding off because I want to build a 2 keg keggerator from a chest freezer. The fermentation cabinet was really to save room, I live in a one bedroom efficiency and space is at a premium, it'd be great to have em up off the floor.

I may just build a real basic shelf and put my insulated boxes on it instead, they seem to work real well and they stay cool with one or two frozen 2-liters. Then again, I haven't done a summer here yet, it could be really hot in here, and I won't be ableIII to ferment with a box and would need a fridge....

I think, either way, I can hold off til summer time, though I may use this scrap wood I've been offered to throw together some wooden boxes, just so I'm not dealing with all these styrofoam lined cardboard guys. Just doesn't seem sanitary. Also, I gots me the hankering to build stuff. Already made myself a bedframe. Now I'm just looking for stuff to build for my tiny new place.
JakeAndBake

Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:33 am

Then again, I haven't done a summer here yet, it could be really hot in here, and I won't be able to ferment

Sounds like a good time to try your hand at a saison or Belgian!

Also, I gots me the hankering to build stuff. Already made myself a bedframe.

You should have built a lofted bed with a fermentation cabinet underneath!
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment