Let's Talk About Mills

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:18 pm

Sorry Mills. I mean to ask if anyone has used the Cereal Killer and how do they like it. Seems like a great price. Was wondering about the 1.25" rollers, what kind of bushings does it have, and the warranty that's way shorter than most others. I'm considering having my wife surprise me with my first grain mill for Xmas.
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Re: Let's Talk About Mills

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:57 pm

You're gonna have your wife surprise you with Mills for Christmas? Did you ask HIS wife if it's ok?

:P
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:25 am

Been using my Barley Crusher for a bit over 2 years now. I've adjusted the gap once and it's always stayed. Nice crush every time. I think if I was going a different route (i.e., had more money) I would have gotten a Monster Mill.
Primary: Nada Damn Thing IPA
Secondary: ESB
Kegged: Jack Schittenweiss
BigNastyBrew

Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:48 pm

Monster Mill 2 (two each at two inch diameter rollers), works great! still playing with the gap but the mill and it's 11# hopper are pretty nice. did some fine tuning on the assembly for more precision but that's the machinist in me. was kinda spendy though...
MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '12]

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, olny the frist and lsat ltteers need be at the rghit pclae. Tihs is becsuae the hamun mnid deos not raed evrey lteter by iteslf, but the wrod as a whloe.
mordantly

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:33 am

Thanks for the replies. I know those mills are popular and all, but I really wanted to know if anyone has used the Cereal Killer mill. I think it's kinda new on the market and wondered if my concerns in the op are a problem. Like, do the 1.25" rollers bind up, or make it too hard to crush. Thanks
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:56 pm

Schmidling Malt Mill, fixed roller gap, purchased in 1994 (I think -- might've been '92)
-- Scott

On Tap - Janet's Brown, Easy-Jack/SNPA mash-up
Primary - BCS Saison with rye
Secondary - Cabernet Sauvingon
animaldoc

Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:37 am

scotchpine wrote:Like, do the 1.25" rollers bind up, or make it too hard to crush. Thanks

You shouldn't, the barley crusher's rollers are 1.25x5. I just got mine(bc) this week and using it today, but my lhbs has one(bc) and it's never given any problems.
On tap: dunkelwiessen, american brown ale
Fermenting: american barleywine
On deck: ? what ever is next
PSUHomebrewer

Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:49 am

I think I'm gonna go ahead and order the Cereal Killer. If nobody else has any feedback on it, I guess I'll be the first. Seems like a good deal.
scotchpine

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment