Portable Electric Range

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:28 pm

Just google searched this after hearing Moscow/Scott/Skittles the producer's use of it on the session a few weeks back. I have a burner, but i was thinking since i'll be moving to out sooner or later that this would be a good buy if a burner is not allowed (imagine the landlord randomly pops in when i'm brewing, propane on the third floor? or electric range). Of course i know it's not suggested for mashing in but i'm thinking that it would be

a, cheaper than propane
b, won't run out of propane n the middle of brewday
c, less likely to cause a fire, since it's not actually on fire
d, i can turn it off early and it will still be hot and continue to boil my wort even when it's off 5 minutes before traditional flame out

of course some problems do occur

a, it sill stays hot after you're done (brew with no pants on and you brush the plate?)
b, unsure how likely it can be used for a mash, might have to do a bunch of tests to figure it out (it's ok, i'm sill extract anyways)
c, the $14 ones might not do the trick and could start melting
d, if it breaks, i won't be able to fix it

So, what do you guys think? Should i go for an electric extract system with these electric burners?
Bottled: Dark and Dangerous (smoked black ale)
Upcoming: Cocoa Pebbles Black Saison
Steel

Re: Portable Electric Range

Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:33 pm

The real issue, as I see it, is not so much one of cost but one of available real BTU's to the kettle. I have used commercial electric burner elements that can do the job, but I was using them in a commercial kitchen. A two burner electric hotplate usually operates on 220V 3-phase current, much like an electric dryer. Now, even used these units will run you hundreds of dollars. Then the logistics of wiring, etc. High Gravity in OK sets up electric brew systems and has much more info than can be told in an e-mail.

I would think that the best one could do with a household electric burner would be mini batches of a couple of gallns.

hth,
Alan
alan_marks

Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:03 pm

alan_marks wrote:The real issue, as I see it, is not so much one of cost but one of available real BTU's to the kettle. I have used commercial electric burner elements that can do the job, but I was using them in a commercial kitchen. A two burner electric hotplate usually operates on 220V 3-phase current, much like an electric dryer. Now, even used these units will run you hundreds of dollars. Then the logistics of wiring, etc. High Gravity in OK sets up electric brew systems and has much more info than can be told in an e-mail.

I would think that the best one could do with a household electric burner would be mini batches of a couple of gallons.

hth,
Alan

Yeah that's a concern that i had and i was hoping that someone would know the comparison between output and BTUs
Bottled: Dark and Dangerous (smoked black ale)
Upcoming: Cocoa Pebbles Black Saison
Steel

Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:40 pm

Alan are you doing this in your residence?. Reason I ask is that a commercial burner may and mostly likely will void your homeowner's insurance in the event your house/condo/etc.place catches on fire.

It's not a chance I would be willing to take but I would recommend using a household one instead.
thekegman

Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:07 am

Electric brewing is pretty common here in the UK. Most people go for either a heat safe plastic brew bucket or stainless steel pot with kettle elements - as used in electricbrewery.com.
These would also require a 220v circuit to run off, would be cheaper than a heat plate by the sounds of things, no issues with burning ur ass etc.
Sparge Pervert

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:06 pm

I think you'll be fine. I've never used gas, nor am I interested in it either. Unless you have a fancy system, homebrewing is all about making it work.
WAK
3-7-77
WAKeele

Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:47 am

look into heat sticks.
HEY~!! It's a hobby~!! It's NOT supposed to make sense~!!
Cliff

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:08 pm

I'm with the heat stick suggestion

A portable electric range sufficient to boil 5 or more gallons will be a very spendy toy. Plus you'll need 220 to run it.
HEY~!! It's a hobby~!! It's NOT supposed to make sense~!!
Cliff

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment