Using a propane burner inside a garage

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:11 pm

Other than the obvious fire issue, is the main safety issue with using a propane burner in the garage carbon monoxide?

I'm cracking the garage door and feel like I'm getting enough ventilation, but I'm thinking about getting a carbon monoxide detector if it would help.
stadelman

Re: Using a propane burner inside a garage

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:20 pm

I would more than crack the garage door, but I am also a safety cat. A detector would be a good idea. Either way, if it is too much for you, you will find out :shock:

Mills
:bnarmy:
Sergeant: BN Army - Michigan Brewing Division

I've been pounding Chad's Dunkel all night.

- Doc

Twitter: @adammmills Follow me, yo!

http://thosewhocantteachbrew.blogspot.com
Mills

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:28 pm

I would make sure you brew in a well ventilated area. I know that many people do this without any issues, but that is a gamble I'm not willing to take. I wouldn't be worried about CO but I would be worried more about leaks that you may have in connections, hoses, etc. Propane is heavier than most air in the garage and it tends to collect in pockets around the leak if there isn't a lot of movement in the air. This could be ignited by a cigarette lighter, or more likely your burner... In an enclosed area that could be seriously dangerous. These are rare occurrences, but they do happen. Maybe I am being over cautious. Just my 2 cents.

Ben the Brewer
BenTheBrewer

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Ive brewed a batch or two in my garage now since the temperature here has gone below freezing and there's snow on the ground. I usualy set it as close to the door as i can still allowing room to open the door. I also have a man door in the back of the garage that i open, and its open to the attic, so for co im not to concerned, but i do keep a remote handy if there's a problem. If you crack your door it can actually be a problem if you need to open it since you will have to go down before up, besides the safety lazer being tripped probably and locking you inside the garage. I check the setup for leaks before i start and brew next to the hose, though it probably wont do much help.
On tap: dunkelwiessen, american brown ale
Fermenting: american barleywine
On deck: ? what ever is next
PSUHomebrewer

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:06 pm

another thing to watch out for is where you stashed the gas can for the lawn mower. Make sure it is well sealed and at the opposite end of the garage. Definitely keep the big door open more than just a crack. Think of the garage as a big wind screen, not a place to keep warm.

I brew outdoors because I have to. However, I use an electric bucket heater in my hlt and do my mash indoors in the kitchen. I only do the boil outside. Once the hot break forms, there is little chance of boil over, so I don't have to stand over it for the entire boil. I just monitor it through the window. This keeps frostbite to a minimum.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:15 am

Also, don't forget about the moisture from your kettles. It can do some serious damage to your garage if your not careful. Don't ask how I found this out. I also do the "Bug" method and brew outside, monitoring through a window.
On Tap
Coconut Porter, Tasty's APA, Baltic Porter, Ginger Ale

Aging
Dry Mead
RedRory

Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:35 am

I brew in the garage and would rather brew there than anywhere else. Fortunately, living in the Bay Area, having the door all the way open doesn't mean I'll die of exposure. But I would be very concerned about running a big 'ol propane burner for an hour+ with the door only cracked. People die doing that kind of shit. Consider buying an industrial-type propane heater and leaving the garage door up.
"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Firestone Walker Pale 31 clone
Conditioning: Nothing
On draught: Nothing

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
BeerPal

Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:32 am

The amount of ventilation needed is something hard to determine without knowing a lot more about your situation. I would be sure to take extra care and make sure all your propane fittings are not leaking (use some soapy water, or starsan and make sure no bubbles form). I would also use a box fan to push air across your brew system and out the door.
I always bring a CO detector to the garage when brewing, i figure what is the big deal for a bit extra safety.
There are lots of brewers who brew indoors with vent hoods and have no problem, just be careful and if you are concerned about not having enough ventilation, get more.
LordUlrich

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment