Re: Tasty’s plate chiller

Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:13 pm

You guys really need to recirculate acid #5 by 5 star chemicals through those chillers at 160 degrees to remove build up and beer stones, or whatever organic buildup accumulates over time. Plus, Acid#5 repassivates the stainless steel inside as well as a bonus.
If you want peace, be prepared for war!
usmcruz

Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:39 am

usmcruz wrote:You guys really need to recirculate acid #5 by 5 star chemicals through those chillers at 160 degrees to remove build up and beer stones, or whatever organic buildup accumulates over time. Plus, Acid#5 repassivates the stainless steel inside as well as a bonus.

I can get #5 but I don't feel comfortable using higher strength acids under pressure at high temperatures. Am I just being paranoid or is this something that's not sold by my LHBS for a reason? My beer doesn't seem to have any problems so I'm not clear why I should take the risk.

Tasty
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:33 pm

TastyMcD wrote:I can get #5 but I don't feel comfortable using higher strength acids under pressure at high temperatures. Am I just being paranoid or is this something that's not sold by my LHBS for a reason? My beer doesn't seem to have any problems so I'm not clear why I should take the risk.

Tasty

Acid #5 doesnt need to be under pressure to work, just kept recirculating at 160 degrees for 15 minutes. Actually I got 4 gallons from a LHBS here in Jax, fl, but he did have to order it. If you wear gloves, and handle it properly, its safe. Ive used it for over 4 years without incident. Another thing, its not about your beer having a problem or not, its about keeping your plate chiller clean, because if its not clean, the effectiveness of the plate chiller to cool your beer will drop, as well as the nasty thought of having grime, and leftovers growing mold in your chiller if you store it for any amount of time. Its just good maintanence!
usmcruz

Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:40 am

TastyMcD wrote: My beer doesn't seem to have any problems so I'm not clear why I should take the risk.

Tasty

I've had my Therminator in operation for around 3 years and upwards of 150 brews have been through it. I've not had any issues with my beers either. Like many others with Therminators, I've pretty strict about cleaning it. Immediately following my fermenter fill, here's my procedure:

1) Hook up to a hose and backflush for 5 minutes with water
2) Run hot PBW forward using my March pump for 15-30 minutes
3) Backflush again with water for 5 minutes
4) Run a StarSan solution forward using the pump for 5-10 minutes
5) Final backflush with water, then drain, then put on the shelf

As a note, every step above includes my March pump. Sometimes steps it's running, other times it's passive.
- Julian Shrago
Owner/Brewmaster
Beachwood BBQ & Brewing
Downtown Long Beach
SacoDeToro

Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:13 am

I think this is another one of those "if it works for you, don't change" kind of topics.

usmcruz... Next time you're in the LHBS, tell Walt that Jason said hey. And I'm buying him a razor for Christmas!
Corporal, BN Army
:bnarmy:
Drinking:
Hoppy Brown (Brewmaster's Facebook Friday Special)
Fermenting:
Blonde Ale
Next up:
Flanders?
http://www.facebook.com/zingbrewclub
TheMadHopper

Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:28 am

TheMadHopper wrote:usmcruz... Next time you're in the LHBS, tell Walt that Jason said hey. And I'm buying him a razor for Christmas!

Will do! I try to get him to shave that beard. One day its gonna catch on fire. :lol:
usmcruz

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:43 pm

Wanted to dig this one up and see if they ever cut Tasty's Therminator in half
Did a search but couldnt find another thread on the topic
McDougal

Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:51 pm

One of the selling points of using a plate chiller is to use less water.

How much water is being saved if you are pre-sanitizing before use. Then flushing, back flushing, and rinsing after every use ?
dunleav1

PreviousNext

Return to Brewing Equipment