Re: Let's Talk About Mills

Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:00 am

I've been having the same problem with my crankenstein 2 roller mill of the slave roller not engaging or losing its engagement. Like others mentioned, a quick flick of the slave roller will get it crushing again but it's a PIA. I've had this motorized for several years now and used to love it as I could leave the 25+ lbs of grain to mill and get the rest of my gear set up. now I have to keep an eye on it to make sure it's still grinding.

I'm now looking at either a 3 roller crankenstein/monster model or the jsp maltmill, which is the only one that I've found that has an option for a gear driven second roller. Anybody have experience with this gear drive option?
chopper

Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:36 pm

I've been using a non-gear driven JSP for 5.5 yrs--Mod AA. Have put around 750+lbs. of grain thru it, never have cleaned it and the slave roller has never failed to turn.

Odd that your CS is having issues. I've only heard of that happening with the Barely Crusher and the Cereal Killer.

chopper wrote:I've been having the same problem with my crankenstein 2 roller mill of the slave roller not engaging or losing its engagement. Like others mentioned, a quick flick of the slave roller will get it crushing again but it's a PIA. I've had this motorized for several years now and used to love it as I could leave the 25+ lbs of grain to mill and get the rest of my gear set up. now I have to keep an eye on it to make sure it's still grinding.

I'm now looking at either a 3 roller crankenstein/monster model or the jsp maltmill, which is the only one that I've found that has an option for a gear driven second roller. Anybody have experience with this gear drive option?
Did I Brew That?
Steve Urquell

Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:43 am

To slightly redirect the discussion:

I'm looking at buying my first malt mill and want to condition my malt; I'm afraid that a cold-rolled steel roller or body will rust so I'm only considering aluminum and stainless at the moment. Stainless seems to dramatically increase the cost.

-Any opinions on this issue? Whats the downside of aluminum?

Adam
biertourist

Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:03 pm

biertourist wrote:To slightly redirect the discussion:

I'm looking at buying my first malt mill and want to condition my malt; I'm afraid that a cold-rolled steel roller or body will rust so I'm only considering aluminum and stainless at the moment. Stainless seems to dramatically increase the cost.

-Any opinions on this issue? Whats the downside of aluminum?

Adam

fwiw, I condition my malt (probably more moist than most) and have a Barley Crusher (cold rolled steel rollers).
I've never had any issues with rust. That said, if I am planning on not using the mill for a while, I will clean it well with a soft bristle brush and warm water with a bit of dish soap. After I have cleaned, I will lightly oil and put away. I would think Aluminum would be worn more easily by hard grains such as wheat and rye. Even stainless will rust over time if not cared for; especially if any acids contact it. I'd steer clear of aluminum due to the wear and avoid the cost of stainless. Just buy steel and take care of it.
I'm sick of chasing my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later.
tlael

Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:27 pm

tlael wrote:
Even stainless will rust over time if not cared for;

-I was with you completely until this part.

I agree; I'll probably go with cold rolled steel; I didn't know that oiling the rollers before putting them away was a common or recommended practice; good idea, though! It's nice to hear someone with the experience stating that this hasn't been a problem for them, though.

Adam
biertourist

Previous

Return to Brewing Equipment