Re: Blichmann Top Tier: Reviews, Pics, Tips, etc.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:20 pm

So for those of you using these with burners, how open do you have the regulator while you are coming to boil? I've found I need to have it open almost all the way to get to a boil in good time. Wondering if you need to do the same or can get the boil going with the regulator open less (5 gal batch, so about 7 gal pre-boil).
bobjohnson

Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:20 am

bobjohnson wrote:So for those of you using these with burners, how open do you have the regulator while you are coming to boil? I've found I need to have it open almost all the way to get to a boil in good time. Wondering if you need to do the same or can get the boil going with the regulator open less (5 gal batch, so about 7 gal pre-boil).

My experience comes from using my burners once, but my understanding is that you open the on/off rend knob on the regulator all the way. Control the output of the burner with the brass needle valves. I don't need the needles open very far to get a nice blue flame that doesn't roll up around the edge of my kettles.
Corporal BN Army Corp of Engineers, Electrical Battalion
:asshat: :bnarmy:

President, Beer Barons of Milwaukee Cooperative

http://www.beerbarons.org/
http://brewblog.beerbarons.org
Brewing_In_MKE

Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:13 pm

bobbytuck wrote:Photos of my TopTier (almost assembled):

(pictures deleted)

Bobby, that is a beautiful system!

I've got an order in for a Top Tier system now. Can't wait until it arrives. My setup won't be anywhere near as fancy as yours (for one, I'm using an igloo cooler for my MT), but you've definitely given me some ideas.

Couple of questions:
1) Can you tell us more about, or maybe post some pictures of, your HERMS system? Do you have the control panel installed now? Is this something you built yourself? I'm pretty technically challenged. I'd love to have something like that but only if I can buy most of the parts and put it together without much hassle.
a. This isn't really a question but a note. I emailed Blichmann to ask if he was considering designing any kind of
automated HERMS type system for the stand. He says he is - and that it may be out as soon as Spring 2011!
2) How handy do you find having two pumps? I have only one myself, and figure I can always switch the hoses around if I ever decide to use a pump with the mash (RIMS/HERMS) in addition to its primary use between the BK and the fermenter.
3) Am I seeing things, or do you have some extra holes in your HLT and MT? It looks like you've got two holes in the lid of your HLT, one in the side, and one in the top of the MT. Are those really holes? If so, did you drill them yourself? If not, how are the hoses hooked up?

Again, awesome system. Thanks for sharing the info.
DiegoProf

Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:18 am

I agonized over putting this together. I spent last winter reading about RIMS and HERMS and was almost certain I'd build everything from scratch -- stand, keggles, etc. But then I saw Blichmann's TopTier -- and had a chance to talk at length to John Blichmann at length via email -- and I decided it was *far* cheaper to just get the stand, configure it the way I wanted it, and be done with it.

Yes, it's not as cool as welding your own. But if you have no welding skills -- and don't know anyone who can whip out a welder and spend a couple weekends building a sculpture -- it's a no brainer. I *did* contact some local welding shops but they were not all interested in any jobs less than $2K. So that was that.

I saw the control panel at HighGravityBrew.com and decided to go with it. It was 200-300 bucks and did what I wanted to do for a basic setup. Don't have the link now, but it's on their site. See 'EBC II'. Once I got the panel, I hired an electrician to install a 220V GFI outlet on the side of my house with the matching NEMA plug from the control panel.

In terms of pumps, yeah -- two pumps is super nice. I bought parts, too -- a spare impeller and a spare head -- and I'm glad I did because last week one of the my pumps stopped mid-sparge. I swapped out the impeller and all was well. I could do what I'm doing now with one pump -- especially since it's a gravity flow from MLT to BK -- but two pumps make it a bit easier. Plus, I've always got a spare in case something happens -- like last weekend -- where I don't have the parts to quickly fix it. (The impeller was coated with wort goo. I cleaned it, wiped it down, and it seems fine now -- so it's my backup.) Plus, I use the second pump to recirc the HLT. (While the other pump recircs the wort through the HEX). By recirc'ing the HLT water, I'm able to keep my HLT/MLT temps within 2 degrees of each other. So if I want to mash at 152, I set the HLT temp to 154 -- and that's it. It's *always* 2 degrees (so long as I'm recirc'ing the HLT water), and it's rock solid. That's the beauty of HERMS. I monitor at the HEX-out with an analog in-line fermometer-- and once I hit my mash temp at the HEX-out, I know I'm golden. It's nice. I recirc the whole 90 mins. No problems with stuck sparges or compacting grain beds either -- and my wort into the BK is crystal clear. I usually do 1.5 quarts per pound. I'm using 15 gallon Blichmann's for everything, although I may upgrade to a 20 gallon BK next season to do 10 gallon batches.

I drilled the heating element holes in the HLT and BK with a step bit. Not a big deal. I used duct-tape to mark the holes. Very easy to do for the 4500W element in the HLT and the 5500W element in the BK. Both heating elements were also from highgravbrewing.

In terms of my heat exchanger, I just used an old immersion chiller that I had from last year. Drilled some holes in the HLT lid, and it's been great. Also I drilled a hole in the lid of my MLT for my thermometer (analog) and my inlet. I'm using flexible tubing to direct the wort out of the HEX and down to the mash top.

I've got brass quick connects all around. No, brass is not the best, but I may switch to SS over the winter. The disconnects were expensive (from McMaster Carr) so I'm in no hurry to switch them.

I've done about 20 brews on the system, and the TopTier structure is superb. The indirect heating method of the HERMS (to me, at least) seems preferable to the direct RIMS -- but I know that's an ongoing debate.

I can't really think of anything I'd change at this point. For brewing, this is perfect. Now, the place where I think is even more important than all this is the fermentation. In hindsight, I probably should have waited to do all this until I had a temp controlled fermentation chamber -- maybe a chest freezer that can hold at least 3 fermenters with heating pads/brew belts. I've come to realize that the fermentation is really the critical part of the whole process -- not the wort making mechanics. It all falls apart if you can't keep a steady temp on the fermentation end. :) I've come to figure out how to use igloo coolers and water bottles to keep my temps nice and steady. For the most part, I use only Safale-05 and have been fermenting at a *very* cool 58F. 05 at that temp gives off some interesting peach-y esters that have worked very well in all the brews I've done lately -- everything from a Rogue Dead Man clone to a nice, dry stout. I'm fermenting a strong ale now at an even cooler 56F, so I'm anxious to see how it turns out. Many folks have warned me not to ferment 05 that cool, but I've had very good luck. :) I have learned that 05 needs a lot of O2 injected in order to avoid too much stress (and to make sure it attenuates fully) -- so I built an inline O2 injector last week and gave it a try with the strong ale -- injecting it right after it came out of my therminator. I also injected it with 60 seconds of O2 12 hours into the fermentation. I did a couple brews where I forgot to oxygenate after cooling (distracted) -- and they gave off a very strong, sweet taste that has not gone away even after several months in the bottle.

However, I'm definitely glad I moved away from propane. I never understood how folks say that they get 5 batches from a tank of propane. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but I could barely get *2* batches without having to run to Home Depot and swap out tanks. I ended up buying spares, but then I came to *hate* buying propane. I brew 4-5 times a month now, and I've seen barely a blip on my electric bill. Electricity, IMHO, is the way to go.
bobbytuck

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:11 am

Bobby,
Could I ask you a couple of other questions on this rig...it looks very similar to what I think I might need and I'm pretty clueless when it comes to wiring etc.

So, do you think it would work, at least initially, without recirculation? So, if I got two elements, one controller...this would kinda be the simplest equivalent of two propane burners. I currently mash in a cooler (stove top) and am OK sticking with that, so one element on the HLT and one for the boil kettle, sharing a single controller with no need for a temperature sensor?
Does the March pump plug into the same controller? Does that mean it runs at 220v? (I guess I'd still use a pump for going from kettle to fermenter).

Finally, if I did want to get into the recirc stuff, how do you have that plumbed in? Can you describe the flow?

Lots of questions, but I really appreciate you sharing man! BNA rocks!
Corporal Mickp
mickp

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:34 am

In terms of the flow for my HERMS, I have the HEX in my 15 gallon HLT (top tier).

I recirc the water in the HLT via pump #1 to keep the HLT at a stable temp.

I recirc the mash (middle tier) through the HEX in the HLT and then back to 15 gallon MLT with pump #2.

I measure the mash temp at the HEX-out/MLT-in (top of lid on MLT). This is the main temp control I use with Ranco temp control #1. So if I want to mash at 150F, I just set my ranco temp control #1 to 150. It will automatically adjust the HLT water until it reaches this temp (and because I'm measuring at the HEX-out/MLT-in, it'll automatically compensate for the differential between the HLT and the MLT -- usually about 2-3 degrees or so. In other words, in order to hit 150 at the MLT-in, my HLT has to be around 152 or so. Temp control is pretty much hands-off and all with ranco #1.

I have another probe in the mash (Ranco temp control #2) just to see what the mash is doing, although I know it varies. But it's nice to see that the interior of the mash is at or near my target mash temp.

That's pretty much it. After the mash, I ramp up the HLT temp to around 172 or so and fly-sparge for 45 mins or so, gravity transferring from the MLT to the 15 gallon BK (lower tier).

Boil for 90 mins.

Let sit for a 30-45 minute hop steep, then cool via the therminator or move through hopback and then to therminator.

In terms of the wiring, I know *nothing*. So I had an electrician install a 220V GFI outlet on the outside of my house. I have 5500W elements in the HLT and the BK. I have a control panel with two switches -- one for the heat, one for one pump. The other pump I control with a power strip connected to a 120V outlet (installed at the same time as the 220V). The control panel I bought from highgravitybrew.
Last edited by bobbytuck on Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbytuck

Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:24 am

excellent info..
The HEX? Is this just an immersion wort chiller? Maybe I'm closer to a HERMS than I think...
Have you tried any step mashes with this rig?

I've contacted the guys at high gravity with a few questions too.

Really appreciate the help!
Corporal Mickp
mickp

Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:33 am

HEX=heat exchanger.

Yeah -- the copper coil in the HLT.

EDIT: No step mashes. I can ramp up about 1 degree per min -- maybe 1.5 degree -- so it would be a pretty slow ramp-up.
bobbytuck

PreviousNext

Return to Brewing Sculptures