Stainless stand

Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:46 pm

I built a single tier stainless brew stand about 6 months ago. I bought unpolished steel, had it welded up by a buddy. Then I sanded the crap out of it with a green scrubbie and then with an angle grinded with Caswell polishing compound.

The problem I have now is that where the heat hits inside the stand turns blue. I then get the cleanser out every other brew and clean it off to prevent rust.

What can I polish the stainless with so it stands up better to the heat?

Thanks,
JD
dunleav1

Re: Stainless stand

Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:53 pm

You can polish it with something called... a heat shield...
On Tap: Dark Mild (x2), Honey Hefe
Fermenting: A.Bastard Clone, Wee Heavy, S/70, Eng. Barleywine
On Deck: ?
11amas

Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm

dunleav1 wrote:I built a single tier stainless brew stand about 6 months ago. I bought unpolished steel, had it welded up by a buddy. Then I sanded the crap out of it with a green scrubbie and then with an angle grinded with Caswell polishing compound.

The problem I have now is that where the heat hits inside the stand turns blue. I then get the cleanser out every other brew and clean it off to prevent rust.

What can I polish the stainless with so it stands up better to the heat?

Thanks,
JD

You are not going to be able to prevent the discoloration. Propane burns at almost 2,000 *F. I also have a stainless stand. I scrub it down after a boil over, but I certainly don't try to remove all the colors from the flame. It's a loosing proposition. Be thankful that you have stainless, and you can scrub off any nasty burnt sugar deposits (and your "high temp paint" doesn't flake off in big chunks. RDWHAHB.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:30 am

11amas wrote:You can polish it with something called... a heat shield...

That's the funniest thing I read all morning :lol: :jnj
Sent From My iPhone

Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:09 pm

my stand is all SS 316 (can be seen in the brew sculpture pics thread), i've had my fair share of boilovers but it's no biggy, think of them as badges of honour 8) :wink:

cheers

Dave
Shed Brewer

Sun May 09, 2010 5:04 pm

i bought some engine heat paint that is supposed to be able to handle temps up to 2,000F, I am going to coat my rig with that and then see how it holds up
swifty

Tue May 11, 2010 3:46 pm

Ceramic is the only solution. Most powder coating places offer a ceramic coat. You may want to check into it. My opinion is to let it go, the coating from burnt off paint, discolored stainless, show your brewing and won't hurt the stand or the brew.
mrnohrco

Wed May 12, 2010 4:34 am

Let me know how the high temp paints holds up. I tried some "high temp" paint made for gas grills and it burned off, bubbled and released some nasty fumes on the first brew.
BrianL

Return to Brewing Sculptures