Is there an easy guide to going all electric?

Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:50 pm

Hi all,
I have been brewing for a while now, but the last couple years things have came to a standstill (new job 1.5 hrs away...). A while back i built a single tier sculpture (all welded frame, etc). I am currently using (2) LP ring burners, one for heating up mash water and one for the boil. I still mash in an igloo, but dont have any issues with it. I have an 15 gal boil kettle and a standard keggle for HLT. I usually do 12 gal batches.

I dont know what the deal is but it takes FOREVER to heat the water up to strike temps and FOREVER to get a boil going. My burners blow the flame out if i turn them up too high, so i have a medium flame at highest. It sucks, it takes too long, it makes me have to keep a constant eye on things ...just in case it blows out...or my kids decide to "make daddys brew rig a fort!" and so on. I am really hoping to go electric and add automation to my brew day to allow me to brew a lot more often. I have poked around looking for info and there is a bunch of it sprinkled all over...i'm just so far out of the game lately and have so many things on my plate its hard to focus and capture it all in and make a cohesive plan (or maybe its lazyness too, not sure). I was really hoping there was some good comprehensive sites or posts out there that would lay it all out. That may be wishful thinking, but it sure would go towards helping a brotha get his brew back on..

Also - Another big thing to mention is that my sculpture (sits on the patio these days)....has been blessed with a 100amp sub panel within a few feet of brew zone. When we put in a spa a while back, my gut said...go ahead...get a big gnarly sub panel over here...youll need it one day....sure enough...seems to be a sign from above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,
JD
jd-santaclarita

Re: Is there an easy guide to going all electric?

Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:30 am

I don't think there's a single guide, but search around here and you'll find a lot of information. Also, check out this thread that I started:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15995
A few other people posted some very good links in there.
Aging: Gotlandsdrickå, Baltic Porter in Bourbon barrel, Olde Ale #2 in whiskey barrel
On Draft: Nothing. Building a walk-in cooler right now.
foomench

Return to Brewing Sculptures