Re: does a steel sculpture rust stainless kettles?

Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:57 am

Most likely (unless it is stainless) you are using this type of mild steel:

On this chart you can see that (mild) steel and stainless 300 are quite far apart.

http://www.berridge.com/Preventing%20Electrolysis.pdf

This is something we always keep in mind in construction, especially with roofing and near salt water I use a lot of stainless fasteners on the exterior. And copper flashings are nailed down with copper nails.

If you don't store your stainless on the steel, the limited contact time during a brewing session will not matter much.
bcmaui

Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:19 pm

Guido wrote:Just so I understand correctly, the angle iron steel that I used to construct my brew stand is mild steel, right?

Mild steel angle is usually black in color, and stainless steel is always silver in color. You would know if you used stainless steel, especially if you bought new stock and saw the price tag! :P
If you want peace, be prepared for war!
usmcruz

Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:19 pm

Hey all. I doubt SS was bought and did not know it, as a previous post put it, the sticker shock would still be present.

Steel with a low carbon content has properties similar to iron. As the carbon content rises, the metal becomes harder and stronger but less ductile and more difficult to weld.

Low carbon steel contains approximately 0.05–0.15% carbon and mild steel contains 0.16–0.29% carbon, therefore it is neither brittle nor ductile. Mild steel has a relatively low tensile strength, but it is cheap and malleable.

SS is nice, but pricey, but I still believe that it is OK to use steel frames and SS pots. I do not think the contact time is severe enough to be a detriment to the SS pots. No dielectric fluid present for Galvanic corrosion.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:34 pm

usmcruz wrote:
Guido wrote:Just so I understand correctly, the angle iron steel that I used to construct my brew stand is mild steel, right?

Mild steel angle is usually black in color, and stainless steel is always silver in color. You would know if you used stainless steel, especially if you bought new stock and saw the price tag! :P

I saw the price tag and bought it over several weeks so I wouldn't know how much I was spending!
"Well...I woke up this morning, and I got myself a beer."
-Jim Morrison, "Road House Blues"
Guido

Previous

Return to Brewing Sculptures