Moving to Ohio

Wed May 21, 2014 1:13 pm

Moving to Aurora, OH and leaving my 2 mile drive to Victory Brewing Co :(

Any brewers from that area? Clubs? The beer scene looks pretty good. Maybe I'll be able to score some 3 Floyds!

Looks like I'm moving on the 7/10
NervousDad

Re: Moving to Ohio

Sun May 25, 2014 7:07 pm

Welcome to Ohio! Sorry for the delayed reply, but it's great to see that you're moving this way. I live near Akron, which isn't far from Aurora. There are a few good breweries in the area, Great Lakes and Fat Heads in Cleveland, Hoppin' Frog and Thirsty Dog in Akron, and several others. There certainly isn't any shortage of good craft beer in the area!

As for clubs, you have some options. If you're a good brewer, then join the SAAZ club in Akron (www.saazakron.com). If you're not so good, then join the SNOBs in Cleveland. I'm only kidding, it's a good rivalry that we have between each other. There is also Little Mountain Homebrewers Association somewhere in NEO, and maybe others in the area.

I'm in the SAAZ club. The SAAZ web site has schedules and other information. Feel free to PM me. or reply here for any questions or info about SAAZ, the area, clubs, etc.

Good luck with the move!
JoeBeer100

Mon May 26, 2014 4:30 am

Thanks for the info! Everything is so far in Ohio! Looks like all of the clubs are 45 minutes from me :(

I'm glad there are some good choices for beer and it will be easier to get without the archaic PA rules.
NervousDad

Mon May 26, 2014 12:43 pm

Do not be afraid to start your own club.

I did. It's easy and you will be surprised how many home brewers
do not belong to clubs but are looking for one. It only takes someone with the gumption to start it.

1) Find a brewery or LHBS willing to help you host meetings.
2) Put out fliers at a few of the breweries/pubs/good beer bars in the area saying you are looking to start a Homebrew club.
3) Register it with the AHA so it gets a bit of additional visibility.
4) Advertise it on boards like this one, the AHA board, NB, the Green Board, etc.

My club started with 3 guys 7 yrs ago and now we have about 45, with 25 very active members, and 5 who have gone pro, (3 who partnered and opened their own brewery, and 2 others who are in the midst of opening their own). Now we have a 15 barrel system (with 2 more to come) to brew club brews on.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Mon May 26, 2014 3:52 pm

BDawg wrote:Do not be afraid to start your own club.

I did. It's easy and you will be surprised how many home brewers
do not belong to clubs but are looking for one. It only takes someone with the gumption to start it.

1) Find a brewery or LHBS willing to help you host meetings.
2) Put out fliers at a few of the breweries/pubs/good beer bars in the area saying you are looking to start a Homebrew club.
3) Register it with the AHA so it gets a bit of additional visibility.
4) Advertise it on boards like this one, the AHA board, NB, the Green Board, etc.

My club started with 3 guys 7 yrs ago and now we have about 45, with 25 very active members, and 5 who have gone pro, (3 who partnered and opened their own brewery, and 2 others who are in the midst of opening their own). Now we have a 15 barrel system (with 2 more to come) to brew club brews on.

Sounds like an awesome club! Hmmm maybe that's what I'll need to do :) Bring it on SAAZ and SNOBS :mrgreen:
NervousDad

Return to Travel