Beer in Dublin Ireland?

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:40 pm

Yeah, obviously I will have Guinness, but are there other things I should be looking for? I hope to find some English style cask ale and maybe some old school Mead. Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

I will be staying about 20 min north of the city.

Thanks
P
Willys

Re: Beer in Dublin Ireland?

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:50 pm

I liked the Porterhouse Brewery in the Temple Bar district, which is pretty close to the Guinness brewery. Have fun in Dublin. :jnj
Come On Fulham!!

"...know your process, know your yeast." - Ozwald
BeaverBarber

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:55 pm

Thanks I will check that out. What is public transit like?

Any bottles I shiuld try to buy and bring back?
Willys

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:18 pm

When you going to be there? I will be there in the middle of June! Can't wait...and will keep an eye on this thread..
Stinkfist

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:26 pm

There is a decent bus system, but I didn't use it because I didn't go too far from Temple Bar. The Porterhouse is a microbrewery, and they have plenty of beer to choose from, but I don't remember being able to bring any home. I'm sure that somewhere in Temple Bar there will be a store that sells beer in bottles. I recommend Brew Dog 5 AM Saint, Punk IPA, and Hops Kill. Oh, and if you can find beers from the Cairngorm or Salopian breweries, those are great too...and you've gotta try Hobgoblin or Black Sheep Ale. Deuchars IPA isn't bad either. Those are all UK beers, and Ireland isn't in the UK, but I imagine they'd still carry a lot of the English/Scottish stuff. :unicornrainbow:
Come On Fulham!!

"...know your process, know your yeast." - Ozwald
BeaverBarber

Wed May 01, 2013 11:44 am

i will be there the 12th of May for work. :aaron
Willys

Thu May 02, 2013 10:06 pm

A few of the Pubs sell Ohara's Stout on nitro which is really nice irish stout. Im not a fan of Porterhouse other than their irish stout. I found their strong beers to be very fusel'y. Their attempt at a west coast ipa is a failure. Ummm... I bought a lot of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout while living there which is great. We can get it here in the states but it always seems more oxidized or something.
Maybe off topic but the Irish whiskey of the year for 2012 was Yellow Spot. Look it up. Its not sold in the US. My girlfriends mother brought be a bottle of that as well as Green Spot. Both were excellent.
Sláinte
McDougal

Thu May 02, 2013 10:08 pm

And if you have a rental car take the two hour drive to Galway for a night. The pubs in Galway are amazing. Full of trad music. Just ask were the craic is.
McDougal

Next

Return to Travel