Perfect Pour - Draught quality manual

Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:14 am

I happened upon the draught quality manual about the same time the Perfect Pour episode aired.

I have a few questions about the manual and its application to homebrew.

1 - they say the proper storage temp is 34-38 degrees. Why do they recommend such cold storage temps? Is this because the mass produced piss beers are supposed to be served "ice cold" or is there some science behind the numbers?

2 - they say the proper serving temps are 38-44 degrees. But they do not say how to get the beer warmer. Does the small temp change happen rather quickly?
Private First Class - Philly Division

Drinking:
Tasty APA
DFH 60 Min
CYBI Dad's Little Helper
Black Velveteen - Oatmeal Stout
Fermenting:
Barleywine
Lagering:
Notta
Next up:
brews for NHC
In the Funkhouse:
empty
atomicpunk

Re: Perfect Pour - Draught quality manual

Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:13 pm

They recommend 34-38*F because that is considered the most stable temperature range for all beers...piss swill macro or quality craft ales and lagers. The closer to freezing the less chance of off-flavors forming and the best scenario for the longest shelf life. Also, being beer serving (pouring through a faucet) is dependent so much upon pressure and temperature the lower temp allows a lower pressure required to balance the system...that is: pour the beer at the desired rate without it foaming too much and without the beer losing or gaining carbonation.

As far as warming a pint/serving of beer to the desired drinking temp...I guess that is the only option once it is poured. It can only warm up (in a normal drinking environment) so they're rather serve it colder than needed knowing that it will pass through its optimum temp range while being consumed.

Just my two cents. BTW...I'm currently a cobra tap guy, one with ~5' for most of my beers and one with a longer line for belgians/wheats/etc.
Fupa

Return to Brew Strong