Perfect Pour - Cobra Taps vs "Regular" Taps

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:42 am

Guys,
I use a cobra tap with the "appropriate" length of 3/16" tubing (let's call it 5 feet for 15psi) - but I still get quite a bit of foam when pouring (maybe 2 to 2 1/2 inches of foam in a pint glass)...

I was wondering if there was a "significant' difference between a cobra tap and a "regular" tap regarding foaming? Perhaps the cobra tap "interior" isn't as "smooth" as a regular tap - or something along those lines?

For grins, I'm thinking of buying a regular tap as well as the "appropriate" length of tubing and seeing what that pour looks like...
Jimbo

Re: Perfect Pour - Cobra Taps vs "Regular" Taps

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:26 pm

Jimbo wrote:Guys,
I use a cobra tap with the "appropriate" length of 3/16" tubing (let's call it 5 feet for 15psi) - but I still get quite a bit of foam when pouring (maybe 2 to 2 1/2 inches of foam in a pint glass)...

I was wondering if there was a "significant' difference between a cobra tap and a "regular" tap regarding foaming? Perhaps the cobra tap "interior" isn't as "smooth" as a regular tap - or something along those lines?

For grins, I'm thinking of buying a regular tap as well as the "appropriate" length of tubing and seeing what that pour looks like...

FWIW, 5 feet of 3/16" at 15PSI doesn't sound "appropriate" unless you hold it straight up - or your fridge is at 36 or so. Best thing to do is get a longer piece of tubing than you need, hold it at the height where you normally do with a keg that has "stabilized" at you desired temp and pressure. Then time your pour. I like no faster than 2oz/sec or 8 seconds for a pint (slow). If you are too slow, cut off a few inches and try again.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:44 pm

+1 on longer hose

I Use 5 feet at 12 PSI and have great luck with my cobra taps - in fact, i used to have the faucets and didn't like them so I switched to the cobra taps
Blowmax10

Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:10 am

Mylo wrote:FWIW, 5 feet of 3/16" at 15PSI doesn't sound "appropriate" unless you hold it straight up - or your fridge is at 36 or so.

Yep, you are right on the $$ - 34*F - it's my chest freezer which happens to perform lagering duties as well as keg serving :) Since I seem to have used all available garage floorspace "allocated" to my "hobby" by SWMBO; I've decided that the freezer will just have to perform double duty.

FWIW, the cobra taps have been working well over the years - I'm just wasting time trying to get the "Perfect" pour; actually, I think it's just another thing to tinker with...
Jimbo

Return to Brew Strong