Re: Extract version of Levitation

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:57 pm

I'm actually doing a full boil (which as much of a pain in the ass as you'd expect it to be over 2 burners of an electric stove). I just converted the malt over to DME (55% or 5.15 lbs). Since I'm doing a full boil I don't need to reduce the hops, right? When should my hop additions be for a 60 min. boil?
Thanks for your help, guys. This is my first attempt at a CYBI recipe.
Private First Class, Northeast Division
NewEnglander

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:59 pm

I just realized, it's a Levitation clone. Don't bother to reduce the hops. Maybe if it was something else then yes, but not for a hop bomb like that.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:28 pm

NewEnglander wrote:I'm actually doing a full boil (which as much of a pain in the ass as you'd expect it to be over 2 burners of an electric stove). I just converted the malt over to DME (55% or 5.15 lbs). Since I'm doing a full boil I don't need to reduce the hops, right? When should my hop additions be for a 60 min. boil?
Thanks for your help, guys. This is my first attempt at a CYBI recipe.

Just do the 90 min addition at 60 min. However you may have to bump up that addition a bit to account for the extra 30 min. I would just plug it in to some brewing software at 90 min then at 60 min and tweak it untill i got my ibu's close.

I too boil on 2 burners. As much as a pain as it is it will make your transition to AG (should you decide to do so) that much easier.

Prost
Main Entry: zymurgist
Part of Speech: n
Definition: a scientist who studies the chemical process of fermentation in brewing and distilling; also, by extension, a brewer
Pharmbrewer

Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:14 pm

Pharmbrewer wrote:Just do the 90 min addition at 60 min. However you may have to bump up that addition a bit to account for the extra 30 min. I would just plug it in to some brewing software at 90 min then at 60 min and tweak it untill i got my ibu's close.
Prost

Is there a free online version of some software out there? I'm not ready to fork out the funds to buy ProMash or whatever.
And is the reason I'd need to bump up the 90 min. hops if I do a 60 min. boil because there won't be as much time to get as much out of them?
I think I'm going to brew this on Friday so I'm trying to nail down my procedure.
Slainte!
NewEnglander

Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:03 pm

I used this one for a while with perfectly good results.
[url]
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/recipe.html[/url]
:bnarmy:Corporal, BN Army Kettle Scrubbing Squad :bnarmy:
andy77

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:52 pm

NewEnglander wrote:Is there a free online version of some software out there? I'm not ready to fork out the funds to buy ProMash or whatever.
And is the reason I'd need to bump up the 90 min. hops if I do a 60 min. boil because there won't be as much time to get as much out of them?
I think I'm going to brew this on Friday so I'm trying to nail down my procedure.
Slainte!

I use this http://hbd.org/recipator/

It has worked well for me so far. Eventually I'll poney up the cash for some software but I have other brewing investments that are a higher priority right now namely ingredients :aaron .

The answer to your second question is yes the contribution of IBUs of any given hop is dependant upon the time in the boil (among other things ). Check out the brewstrong hop calculation show for more info. http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/588

Good luck on friday.
Prost!
Main Entry: zymurgist
Part of Speech: n
Definition: a scientist who studies the chemical process of fermentation in brewing and distilling; also, by extension, a brewer
Pharmbrewer

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:06 am

http://www.brewtility.com

You have to register but it's quick, has a lot of ingredients and adjustments, and saves your recipes (if you want it to).

I use this one all the time.
Bottle: Lonely Beer Party Bitter, Mildly Amused, Saison Du Biz (two fermentors with slightly different ferm. temps), Noah's Parti Bitter

Fermentor: Noahs Parti Wine-o

Coming up:
Wutz

Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:58 am

Awesome. Thanks for all resources, guys.

I put the recipe through the TastyBrew calculator (to start) and here's what I got:

Stats
OG 1.050
FG 1.013
IBU 79
ABV 4.8 %
SRM 17

It's fairly close to the CYBI recipe, except for the IBU's which are wicked high. Thoughts?
(And this is for a 90 min. boil)
NewEnglander

PreviousNext

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?