Re: Arrogant Bastard Show

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:06 pm

I toured the Stone brewery this week and based on the tour guide's comments, they must be asked about AB a lot. She told me personally that every tour includes someone asking for the recipe and that it's a mystery!

I didn't see any Special B but there was a lot of C150.

For the record, is there a practical difference in taste with C150 and Special B?

I ordered from Brewmasterswarehouse. THe grain stats are:

Special B: SRM 148 / SG 1.030
C150: SRM 150 / SG 1.035
ultravista

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:02 am

I'm about to make this on Sunday. Any consensus as to Special "B" vs. C-150? I have both ready to go.

The Pope sez Special "B". Tasty sez C-150. Is that where we're still at?

I'm leaning toward C-150 based on the hints and Tasty's opinion. (Also I have other recipes for Special "B" none for C-150) but I find it really hard to go against the Pope's opinion.

Thanks

Rudeboy
ps A few years ago, before CYBI I made a "clone" with about 10% C-120, same basic hopping regime and I thought it was pretty close.
Rudeboy

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:08 am

ultravista wrote:I didn't see any Special B but there was a lot of C150.

Maybe they hide it to confuse people who come on the tour :twisted:

I'm going to do the Special B version ( show #2 that everyone but Tasty agreed on ). It may not be perfectly cloned but it sure does sound good. I have a pound of Chinook so maybe I'll do a C150 version soon after.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:40 am

I just brewed this a few weeks back, and used a combination of C150 and Sp. B......and it came out closer than any of the CYBI attempts so far!! Something like 90/7/3 percentage wise.

Sergeant, Gulf Coast, Air Force Div.

Keeper of the :asshat: 2011-2012

"Push keeps shoving something in my mouth" Kim Woods

BJCP Judge
Whitebeard_Brewer

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:30 pm

I couldn't tell much of a difference with 10% C150L side by side and neither could my wife. I don't think there would be a large difference between Special B and C150L. My next attempt will be with special B. My hop schedule was 1oz. of Chinnook at 90 minutes and 60g at 0 min with a 20 minute whirlpool.
Hoser
Hoser

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:25 am

TimmyR wrote:
Hoser wrote:Actually, in reviewing Stone's new book, their water supply is much softer and with less SO4 than one would expect to see in such hoppy beers. I have it fairly close in my recipe based on my local water source. That could have something to do with the harshness from the chinook?

I hope so and hope it will tone down. I am still looking for flavor descriptors for it beyond what I've tasted so far. In any case, it is definitely off and I should have targeted more of a San Diego profile with such a high IBU monster as this.

Well I just pulled the dry-hopped carboy from the depths of my basement. It's damn tasty after 4-months. Whatever off-flavor was present is gone. I have to think it was something to do with hop bitterness and the sulfate and maybe it just mellowed.

In any case, my faucets are much happier now.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:38 am

Rudeboy wrote:I'm about to make this on Sunday. Any consensus as to Special "B" vs. C-150? I have both ready to go.

A very well known commercial brewer who made an appearance on the Session last year mentioned that when he worked at Stone long ago they did not use Special B for Arrogant Bastard. He didn't specify which crystal malt but strongly hinted that a C-150ish or even the Simpsons Extra Dark Crystal (160L) is what he would lean towards. He did mention this was how they made it when he worked there and that ingredients may have changed slightly. Other than that he reiterated the simple grain bill and hop bill that Jamil and Tasty are using.
Afterlab

Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:30 am

Afterlab wrote:
Rudeboy wrote:I'm about to make this on Sunday. Any consensus as to Special "B" vs. C-150? I have both ready to go.

A very well known commercial brewer who made an appearance on the Session last year mentioned that when he worked at Stone long ago they did not use Special B for Arrogant Bastard. He didn't specify which crystal malt but strongly hinted that a C-150ish or even the Simpsons Extra Dark Crystal (160L) is what he would lean towards. He did mention this was how they made it when he worked there and that ingredients may have changed slightly. Other than that he reiterated the simple grain bill and hop bill that Jamil and Tasty are using.

This has been my thoughts as well. Looking through the Stone book, none of the beers in their regular line up use Special B. Most of the regular recipes use C-15, C-75, and C-150L. The only mentions I see of Special B are one-off, vertical epics, and anniversary ales.
Hoser
Hoser

PreviousNext

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?