Growing on Side of House

Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:13 pm

Hey,

I'm getting ready to set up my system proposition for my mom about my hops in her garden. I've shown her enough photos of beautiful hop vines that she's gonna give me a shot in the front garden (southern facing). The room I have to work with is one story, so not the tallest, but it's all I got, so I was thinking of stringing up 3-4 vines from each rhizome to the roof and training them up so they all look kinda symetrical and nice. I'm just wondering two things. Since it cant grow as tall, will it be bushier (this would probably be a good thing)? Second, and VERY IMPORTANT, is there any special support needed to hang them? I was thinking of getting some smallish screw in hooks to put into the wood under the roof part that hangs down and tying the twine to it and down to the hop plant but dont want to have the weight of the vines ripping out the wood or damaging it.

I'll put up some pics of the area tommorow when it's sunny, but I'm looking to get the idea together asap and pitching it to my mom. Cause then I'll get the hop rhizome order in asap (only Cascade and Centenial left).
Brown Ridge Brewing: My homebrew recipe's and brewing exploits.
SmartFoneCases.com: Quality cases at an affordable price.
beerdrinker

Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:05 am

if you're running string up to the roof, just get some roofing nails and nail under the flap of a shingle. leave it up just a little to wrap the string around. and of course, make it nice and pretty for mom. 3 each should be plenty for the first year.
I'm enjoying my 6-pack....my 6-pack of Superbowl trophies!
twitter.com\@ajignatz
ajignatz@gmail.com
Steelers&Beer

Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:44 am

Just ordered 2 Cascades and a Centenial, right now she's only ok'd one plant, so if I cant change her mind I'll throw two rhizomes in the cascade hole and go down to a bike trail and plant the other one...

But I got a pretty good layout idea... so hopefully she'll be okay with it.
Brown Ridge Brewing: My homebrew recipe's and brewing exploits.
SmartFoneCases.com: Quality cases at an affordable price.
beerdrinker

Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:13 pm

beerdrinker wrote:Just ordered 2 Cascades and a Centenial, right now she's only ok'd one plant, so if I cant change her mind I'll throw two rhizomes in the cascade hole and go down to a bike trail and plant the other one... snip
Heh, heh. You can be like 'Johnny Appleseed' and get some wild hops growing all over the place on public lands. Awesome!!! :D

Come visit us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grow-Hops where there are now 1,970 of us 'hop growers'; I'm confident that we'll probably pass 2,000 by our first anniversary on May 21st. We're currently working on a Grow-Hops Wiki and a 'whole-hops exchange' for our members.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
billvelek

Return to Homegrown